Garmin Poi.gpi To Csv, Gpx, Or Other

Please excuse if this has been covered before. I tried different searches and didn't find anything.

Long story short, I had to reload my OS and didn't (like a dummy) have my POI files backed up.

I've installed 7.1 beta to my 60CSx and am able to put the unit into USB drive mode. Once into

drive mode, I can access the Poi directory. It contains one file called poi.gpi. This file has all of

the custom points of interests but it is binary or database format so not all of it is text. Does anyone

know of a way to to take this .gpi file and get useful CSV, gpx, or some other human readable format

out of it? I tried gpsbabel beta's POI conversion but doesn't work with gpi files. It converts 0 records.

The alternative is to go through one at a time and write the information down from the gps's screen.

I guess I could always take screen grabs too. :sad:

Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Have you tried opening the file in an ASCII text editor like Notepad or Wordpad to see if there's any usable data there? If there is any usable text, then you can use the "Replace" function under the "Edit" menu to remove the binary formatting of the data.

Have you tried opening the file in an ASCII text editor like Notepad or Wordpad to see if there's any usable data there? If there is any usable text, then you can use the "Replace" function under the "Edit" menu to remove the binary formatting of the data.

Looks really funny when you try to load the file into a text editor, and I did not find it worth it to play around with.

Like Geoff said, there is enough information there for me to see those are my POIs but not enough to do anything with.

I'll just start manually converting them back....