5 Years From Now, What Do You Think...

...the GPS market will look like? I wonder what the units will be doing that they aren't doing now? Do you think Magellan will still be in business? Their market shares seem to be tail spinning fast. What about Lowrance? Think they will still be around? Will Garmin be the Wal-Mart of GPS with near total domination of the GPS market? Do you think there will be any new upstart companies that would dare fight Garmin in the marketplace? In the last year, I have paid close attention to Garmin and Magellan slugging it out in our store, and what the customers come in and ask for, and it doesn't look good for Magellan. We don't even carry Lowrance any longer, so I can't comment on their sales.

Edited by Alphawolf

Conversion of technology. Any modern Verizon cell phone can now download via Get It Now the ability to have autorouting to destinations. Though this isn't truely GPS, this is what a majority of the people will want to use the technology for.

Your GPS will be included in your phone along with your mp3/xm radio/payment type device. Of course I could be completely wrong. ;)

Conversion of technology. Any modern Verizon cell phone can now download via Get It Now the ability to have autorouting to destinations. Though this isn't truely GPS, this is what a majority of the people will want to use the technology for.

Your GPS will be included in your phone along with your mp3/xm radio/payment type device. Of course I could be completely wrong. ;)

I'll one up you and say your GPS will be in your phone aling with your mp3/xm radio/fm transmitter/PDA/PVR and toe nail clippers. Ok maybe not all of that but more of it than you can currenty do. PDAs already combine much of that, they just need better battery life and bigger screens.

Stand Alone GPS though that's hard to say. Bluetooth or it's replacment should be represented for pairing with other devices. Screens should be bigger since there is room on the GPS. Waypoint managment is an area that can stand vast improvment. 10,000 waypoints should be easily possible. GPSs that have the entire mapset internal should be available. No CD's to worry about until you want to upgrade the map.

Removable car GPSs should be available in more than just a Jeep. It's rather a pain to use both a car GPS and a handheld.

There will be less models of GPS from any one maker. Differentiation will be firmware. Picture a 60 with the firmware stripped to the Gecko 101 level, and a 60 like it is, and a 60 with better still waypoint managment on the already included MicroSD slot. Meanwhile that same slot dosn't work with the Base 60 even though all it would take is the right firmware.

In 5 years we will still think that they could improve things because they drag their feet on OBVIOUS upgrades.

That's my crystal ball.

I hope Lowrance becomes what Magellan is quickly loosing. The #2 Spot among GPS companies. Lowrance though is more involved with the Marine sonar/ GPS business, and appeals more to boaters, fishers, and outfitters. Lowrance was recently acquired by a European Marine Electronics company, so maybe this means further growth? We'll see in 5 years.