Lowrance Memory Card Size

Hey... I'm planning to add another memory card for my H20C, and was thinking of using a 2gig SD card. I know I saw that some people were using 1gig cards... but I want to make sure the 2gig works, before I spend the extra money.

Many thanks for any input!

Jonathan

I know a guy who tried using a 1 gig card in an iFinder Hunt and it didn't work right. I think it was the manufacturer. He took it back and got another one that worked.

I also had another friend tell me that he thought there was some type of software problem with using cards over 512 mb, but I'm not sure if that was solved with a software upgrade.

Just letting you know what I had heard.

I was going through the expedition C pdf manual and they say at the time of writing this manual 1G cards were supported. My guess is that if the addressing space can support 1GB cards, it will support 2GB cards too.

Anything larger than that would go kaput

Good Sirs,

Thanks for the input!

Jonathan

I was going through the expedition C pdf manual and they say at the time of writing this manual 1G cards were supported. My guess is that if the addressing space can support 1GB cards, it will support 2GB cards too.

Anything larger than that would go kaput

I'm using a 1 gig Sandisk card in my Exp C without a problem...

i'm still loading 977mb of mapcreate 6.3 on my 1gb kingston sd card. its been over 40 hours and counting!

east of the dakota! it is still calculating the size!

i'm temted to try a 2gb so i can squeeze all of america and some mp3s. i have the iway 100m and the ifinder m&m(map and music. have yet to try either one.

i hope they are both interchangeble! any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

i'm still loading 977mb of mapcreate 6.3 on my 1gb kingston sd card. its been over 40 hours and counting!

i'm temted to try a 2gb so i can squeeze all of america and some mp3s. i have the iway 100m and the ifinder m&m(map and music. have yet to try either one.

i believe they are interchangable, if i were to do a big map on my card, i would turn off all the services on my computer that i could, make sure you have no spyware or viruses, and the more memory the and the faaster the processor the better

I did a map of 256 meg on my old p4 1.7ghz, 512meg of sdram, and it took about 10-12 minutes, i am running xp pro, with usb 1.1ports and i think i had 14-16 processes running

i believe they are interchangable, if i were to do a big map on my card, i would turn off all the services on my computer that i could, make sure you have no spyware or viruses, and the more memory the and the faaster the processor the better

I did a map of 256 meg on my old p4 1.7ghz, 512meg of sdram, and it took about 10-12 minutes, i am running xp pro, with usb 1.1ports and i think i had 14-16 processes running

well, my kingston 1gb card is still loading! how absurd! 48 hrs. later! everthing is turned off! no virus scan, nada! this is truly bogus!

after all this is complete, i dont even know if it will work!

2 days to load a 1 GB card? I don't think so...

Is the "% done" indicator even moving at all? Remember with memory chip storage, the cheaper ones are indeed slower than the pricier ones (usually). On a level playing field, THAT is the reason the more expensive ones cost more $'s

2 days to load a 1 GB card? I don't think so...

Is the "% done" indicator even moving at all? Remember with memory chip storage, the cheaper ones are indeed slower than the pricier ones (usually). On a level playing field, THAT is the reason the more expensive ones cost more $'s

another question, what type of system and os, and memory are you running?

senecaripple,

Have you installed the firmware upgrade for the SD reader/ writer. Without that it is very slow. (As I can imagine you know.)

I've tried to send very large maps to a 512MB card, and had to break the maps into smaller sections. I have not tried since the upgrade, but what smaller maps I've done seem to go much faster.

senecaripple,

Have you installed the firmware upgrade for the SD reader/ writer. Without that it is very slow. (As I can imagine you know.)

I've tried to send very large maps to a 512MB card, and had to break the maps into smaller sections. I have not tried since the upgrade, but what smaller maps I've done seem to go much faster.

where can i find the firmware update? under what section of lowrance site?

i was not able to transfer the 977mb on my card, after almost 72hrs of attempt. so, yesterday at 3;30pm est, i am trying again at 917mb, their estimation is way off! was i ever dissapointed. hopefully this reduction of transfer finish by tomorrow. tue, wed, thurs. i'm using a cheap kingston 1gb. using a hp tablet pc. i just ordered a 2gb kingston card i plan on transferring the whole north american map onto my iway 100m and also try it on my ifinder m&m(map & music). i've yet to turn either on.

Something's wrong. I created and downloaded (to a cheapo PNY 1 gb card) 3 maps that total around 800 mb and it took less than an hour. This is using the LEI cardreader, MapCreate 6.3, and a PC i built in 2002 with a 1.7 ghz athlon proc and 1 gb of RAM.

Can you do this on a regular PC instead of the tablet. Maybe it is so underpowered, or under memoried, that you are barking up the wrong tree.

senecaripple,

where can i find the firmware update? under what section of lowrance site?

i was not able to transfer the 977mb on my card, after almost 72hrs of attempt. so, yesterday at 3;30pm est, i am trying again at 917mb, their estimation is way off! was i ever dissapointed. hopefully this reduction of transfer finish by tomorrow. tue, wed, thurs. i'm using a cheap kingston 1gb. using a hp tablet pc. i just ordered a 2gb kingston card i plan on transferring the whole north american map onto my iway 100m and also try it on my ifinder m&m(map & music). i've yet to turn either on.

where can i find the firmware update? under what section of Lowrance site?

http://www.lowrance.com/software/default.asp

Here you can find the updates, this may solve your problem. Lowrance released the upgrades because of slow map transfers.

thank you so much for all of your support! which is more than i can say about lowrance! i am not having much luck with my second attempt! 72 hours and still transferring! after this last attempt i will update the reader! and i will never ever get another lowrance gps!

Something's wrong. I created and downloaded (to a cheapo PNY 1 gb card) 3 maps that total around 800 mb and it took less than an hour.

Hey synergicity,

I'm sure I read somewhere that you only need to initially "encode" your SD card w/ the LEI cardreader, but after that you can use whatever device to transfer the data.

The reason I mention it is ~ 1hour for a 1Gb transfer to an SD card seems loooong.

Am I mistaken about using other readers? Or is the ~1hour due to the software "crunching" the data and actually "making" the maps to upload?

Gettting closer to swiping the card...wife actually warmed up to the idea :( ...still gotta decide on AirMap600C or Exped. C though :)

Later,

Z

That one hour is mainly data crunching time. Approx 12 min for 200 mb on my antique machine.

I would use Lee Rimar's method for decoupling the maps with a specific card. Search for that thread in which he describes the method. Then you can use a usb2 card reader to transfer the data.

Something's wrong. I created and downloaded (to a cheapo PNY 1 gb card) 3 maps that total around 800 mb and it took less than an hour.

Hey synergicity,

I'm sure I read somewhere that you only need to initially "encode" your SD card w/ the LEI cardreader, but after that you can use whatever device to transfer the data.

The reason I mention it is ~ 1hour for a 1Gb transfer to an SD card seems loooong.

Am I mistaken about using other readers? Or is the ~1hour due to the software "crunching" the data and actually "making" the maps to upload?

Gettting closer to swiping the card...wife actually warmed up to the idea :) ...still gotta decide on AirMap600C or Exped. C though :(

Later,

Z

Maybe instead of blaming Lowrance, you could try this on a real computer instead of the tablet. Several of us have given you data that it doesn't take that long, in fact should be around 1 hour. I just made 2 gb of maps today (the 11 western states) in 90 minutes. And my computer is 4 years old. You have other issues.

where can i find the firmware update? under what section of Lowrance site?

http://www.lowrance.com/software/default.asp

Here you can find the updates, this may solve your problem. Lowrance released the upgrades because of slow map transfers.

thank you so much for all of your support! which is more than i can say about lowrance! i am not having much luck with my second attempt! 72 hours and still transferring! after this last attempt i will update the reader! and i will never ever get another lowrance gps!