Absolute Musts On Our Usa Trip

Team_Vink

Hi fellow cachers,

In july we're coming over for a 3 week USA trip, although not primarily for caching, it would be nice to do some if the opportunity arises ;-)

So basically I'm looking for advice, anybody know any caches along our route that are special or absolute musts ??

Route:

San Francisco-Yosemite-Seqouia-Las Vegas-Zion-Grand Canyon-Bryce-Moab-Denver

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated !

Team_Vink, Netherlands

I just drove back from Denver along a southern route that got me close to Moab on Utah US 191. I saw some of the most incredibly-spectacular scenery you can imagine.

If you aren't taking the Interstate, check out the route from "Valley View" to "Cabin Creek" to "Spooky Bat Cave."

Those caches could be a guide for you to find some astoundingly-scenic highways.

Among other caches I found were the "Virtual" "Wolf Creek Overlook," "Got Your Buggy," and "Royal Gorge for Free."

The latter caches might be too far south for you, but Great Sand Dunes National Monument is something to see, as is the Royal Gorge. thumbsup.gif

Sounds like a wonderful trip . . . :laughing:

Edited by Miragee

Those caches could be a guide for you to find some astoundingly-scenic highways.

Thanks, that's a start I'll have a look at those...

I'm trying to find some nice caches along our route, but the sheer number of caches around is absolutely staggering......almost 29000 in CA alone ;-)

That's the reason I'm asking people to suggest some special ones, sorting this out on my own definitely takes too much time.

Team_Vink, Netherlands

I would recommend looking up A Special Memory when you get to Vegas. Not only is the location convenient, but it's quite amusing and appropriate for "the strip". The cache is not only a large ammo box (so you can have fun with treasures and Travel Bugs), but is quite amusingly "dressed". Have fun!

Edited by slmslo

I would recommend looking up A Special Memory when you get to Vegas. Not only is the location convenient, but it's quite amusing and appropriate for "the strip". The cache is not only a large ammo box (so you can have fun with treasures and Travel Bugs), but is quite amusingly "dressed". Have fun!

Thanks, I'll keep this one a secret for the wife and kids, they'll have a blast....;-)

Team_Vink,Netherlands

If you can get to CO and I'm off I'll give you a cache tour in the hills. We can take the backroads and see some awesome country.

Thanks, that's a very generous offer, but as we have limited time I'm afraid we'll have to pass on it. We 're already fully booked as it is...

But, you never know when we might take you up on that offer another time ;-)

Alfred

Team_Vink

There are many locations between SF and Denver and for me southern Utah is THE place. The area between Kanab, Utah and Page, Arizona includes some of the most interesting formations you're likely to see on earth. If you head this way keep in mind that many of the roads you should travel are dirt and can become impassable when wet so check with the ranger stations before heading onto them. Road to check out include: Cottonwood Canyon Road between US 89 to the south and SR 12 at Cannonville to the north (about 30 miles of dirt); Hells Backbone Road that loops north between Escalante and Boulder; The Burr Trail between Boulder and Bullfrog Basin at Glen Canyon Lake; and lestly, if you can get a permit to hike to the "Wave" you'd need to travel about 8.5 miles along House Rock Valley Road heading south from US 89.

In these areas you see spectacular land formations including rainbow red striped sandstone such as "The Wave," Hoodoos (along US 89) and canyons of all descriptions.

Brian