The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Hi Helen,

Thanks for enlightening Chris with some of the finer points of the game B):D:D

As an interim diversion whilst, Freespirit is away:

What was Lancaster and Bell's contribution to 18/19th century society?

Aren't you showing your age again Eckington? B) Were you at school at the time? :D

Helen

Hi Helen,

Thanks for enlightening Chris with some of the finer points of the game :D:D:D

Aren't you showing your age again Eckington? B) Were you at school at the time? B)

Helen

Are but but was the "teaching method" used whilst he was at school???

Hi Helen,

Thanks for enlightening Chris with some of the finer points of the game :D:D:D

Aren't you showing your age again Eckington? B) Were you at school at the time? B)

Helen

Are but but was the "teaching method" used whilst he was at school???

....so, what was their favoured pedagogical model?

Was it a monitorial system? Where more able students were used teach less able students,often where there was a lack of "real" teachers?

That's the one Birdman.

It was said that an effective master, with a group of 10 monitors could perhaps be able to teach a skill to 100 pupils in a day. Bell,perhaps more realitically (if one can use the term in a context such as this), said, "Give me 24 pupils for a day and will give you 24 teachers."

I thought it was called Lancaster Belle, after the RAF bomber and the named B-17 called Memphis Belle.

There are basically three ways airline pilots are trained. A few are selected for cadetships with major airlines such as BA. Not many though. The military train some pilots, but the qualities of rugged individualism which may be suitable for a fighter pilot in a single crew cockpit are exactly what you do NOT want in the multi-crew consensual environment of a modern airliner.

Then there's the 'self-improver' route. Those are the tenacious individuals who self-sponsor through the £50,000 or so and approx 260 hours of instruction it takes to gain a commerical pilot's licence. Their next problem is that the airlines usually demand at least 1,500 hours of flight experience before hiring even the lowliest of co-pilots. By the time the ink is dry on the shiny new licence they're usually stoney broke, so hiring an aircraft to drill holes in the sky for a couple of thousand hours is financially impractical, even if they rent from cheapo countries such as Zimbabwe, the USA or Sarth Effriga. That leaves them with just one alternative which is to get a bolt-on Flying Instructor's Rating and get a job for a pittance teaching flying at flying clubs around the country. They are still raw prawns themselves, but they start teaching ab initio student pilots anyway.

It was explained to me by the principal of one of the major commerical flying schools which used to operate out of Perth that the system is called Lancaster-Belle. Or so I thought he said. I now know that it should have been Bell & Lancaster. When I said that it's a lunatic carrer structure and that you'd never have any doctors if newly qualified doctors had to take a three or four year sabbatical to teach first aid before getting their first 'proper' job, he said that the Lancaster-Belle method had antecedents in the primary school structure of the Victorian era. I forget the buzzword he used but it was something like Teach As You Learn or Teach to Learn or somesuch cackle.

I still think it's bonkers!

Edited by The Forester

Recently, when researching some local history of a nearby riverbank, I learned that a now demolished mill in my local village was Scotland's first dog-biscuit factory. One of the more useless bits of information I learned as a result of discovering that obscure fact was that Mr Cruft was a dogfood merchant.

Useless, that is, until just now!

One of the things I like about doing original historical research is the odd little snippits one comes across when researching something quite different. I'd no idea that researching that old mill would teach me about 19th century dogfood!

OK, my turn I guess?

One of these things moves South at a speed of approximately(*) 14 metres a year, while the other one moves Northwards by exactly the same amount in the same time.

What are they?

* By my own calculation the figure is 13.832m

One of the things I like about doing original historical research is the odd little snippits one comes across when researching something quite different. I'd no idea that researching that old mill would teach me about 19th century dogfood!

OK, my turn I guess?

One of these things moves South at a speed of approximately(*) 14 metres a year, while the other one moves Northwards by exactly the same amount in the same time.

What are they?

magnetic north and south poles?

Good guess, but no. They move a bit faster than 14 metres a year I think.

Edited to add:

The magnetic poles lurch around like drunkards and are not at all symmetrical. Their speed and direction of movement is heavily variable, but is of the order of a few tens of kilometres per year.

Edited by The Forester

DG&GD: The North of Scotland is indeed moving and it is moving in the opposite direction to the South of England, but in the other plane. Scotland is rising upwards while England is sinking. Neither of those movements are anything like 14 metres a year though.

TBs: The icecaps are moving in the opposite direction to the directions stated in the Q.

Bol: None of the British isles moves as fast as 14m per year. Oswestry did make a bit of a jump a few years ago, but that was due to an OS cockup.

By definition, the North and South Poles cannot move North or South. (or East or West, for that matter)
North is North and South is South,

but the point on the surface of the Earth where the rotational axis passes through does move around. It remains the pole, but if the south one moves anywhere, it must be north, and vice versa. East and West is pretty meaninless that close to the pole.

What are they?

Antarctic and Arctic circles? (or is it the Arctic Monkeys? :rolleyes: )

I'm tempted to say the tropics, I don't really see how it could be the poles. The earth is tilted and precesses around an axis which varies according to which point on our annual orbit around the sun we are, which is why we get seasons. If the precession axis was also precessing, as it were, this would cyclicly change the position of the tropics. So at some point in the future (and past) the tropics will change direction and start heading back towards the poles and so on and on and on...

I knew that physics degree would come in handy one day! Doesn't seem to justify the thousands of pounds it cost, but never mind...

edit: I just noticed Birdman already gave this answer, apologies.

Edited by jonnylane

A ding to the Birdman.

It is indeed the Tropics. Due to a several wobbles in the obliquity of the ecliptic, the latitude of the tropics varies quite wildly over a 41,000 year cycle. The latitude is currently decreasing at approximately the rate I mentioned in the question.

A few years ago I thought it might be fun to place a cache exactly on the Tropic of Cancer and fill it with themed swaps. I included a can of orange juice of a brand which plays on the tropical theme, I also included a packet of cigarettes of a brand whose advertising used to include the image of a rugged looking cowboy -- until the model, who was a 60 a day man, died of lung cancer. I also included a silver snuffbox which had the 'Cancer' astrological motif. I had a problem in deciding what Latitude to adopt as the formal Latitude of the Tropic of Cancer. I decided to calculate the Latitude at which the sun would have been directly overhead on the summer solstice of that year and adopt that as my chosen Latitude for the cache. Since then the International Astronomical Union has formally adopted Lieske's algorithm, which is the method by which I computed my figure of 13.832m/pa which I mentioned in an edit to the Question.

Over to Alcatraz Liskatraz for the next Q.

Next question.....

Who is Bibendum better known as?

Hi all great quiz! Hi geogirl (another poolite!) I believe he has something to do with pneumatics but as I cheated! (read the rules after doing the ooogling) Can't answer

good luck all

cache you soon

minxy and "princessannie"

Next question.....

Who is Bibendum better known as?

Hi all great quiz! Hi geogirl (another poolite!) I believe he has something to do with pneumatics but as I cheated! (read the rules after doing the ooogling) Can't answer

good luck all

cache you soon

minxy and "princessannie"

ooops sorry dorsetgal and geodog!

have fun

Ok tries something harder...

Buried in the Churchyard here in Liskeard is a Naval surgeon, called George, who sailed with the First Fleet to Australia.

This in itself is quite an achievement, yet he is quietly famed for taking the first ever Something to Australia....

What is this thing that he couldn't help but take to the other side of the planet???

Buried in the Churchyard here in Liskeard is a Naval surgeon, called George, who sailed with the First Fleet to Australia.

This in itself is quite an achievement, yet he is quietly famed for taking the first ever Something to Australia....

What is this thing that he couldn't help but take to the other side of the planet???

A Rabbit? :lol::rolleyes:

Similar - a rat?