Hello From Newbie Gc Family

hatrick_009

I saw a 45 second blurb on the local news about geocaching this past weekend, and we are hooked! I've been on the web ever since, planning, reading and plotting! I ordered a beginner GPS unit and it'll arrive tomorrow. We have a full weekend of paintballing and geocaching planned.

Our sons are 15, 14, 9, 7 and 7. :( We'll have only one GPS unit to start out with, until we get the hang of this and decide if we want/need more.

Does anyone have any words of advice to offer us as we go on our first hunt this Sunday? Other than GOOD LUCK WITH ALL OF THOSE BOYS!!! :(

Congratulations and welcome. Remember, it is supposed to be fun. When you get your GPSr and feel comfortable with it then:

1. Use the compass screen versus the map screen when you are on the ground approaching the cache hide site. Tells you where to go and how far left to go.

2. Rather than trying to get to the 0 point on your GPSr (basically standing on top of where your GPS thinks the cache is) stop about 50-100 feet from the expected location. Then stop looking at your GPS and start looking at your location. Look for the obvious clues to the cache location. Piles of sticks, rocks, dead hollow tree, or stump in plain view. Don't forget to look at the size of the cache you are looking for. Nothing like thinking you are hunting a regular sized cache, when it is actually a micro-cache.

3. Start out with the easiest dificulty caches (D/T). So go for the 1/1 to 2/2 caches first.

4. Have fun and enjoy

Edited by Jhwk

-Start out with regular sized caches and avoid the micros at first. I think the kids (at least the younger ones) will get pretty bored by the time they find their 3rd or 4th film canister. They tend to be excited by the "treasure" found in regular caches, even thought the term treasure is usually a stretch.

-That said, don't expect to find all kinds of great stuff in the caches. If you do its nice, but most caches tend to eventually fill up with things that really belong in the garbage.

-Don't expect your GPS to put you right on top of the cache. You can be anywhere from right on it to 50 feet and sometimes more off. 10-30 feet is most common though.

-Don't push them. Its better leaving them wanting more than whining about going on.

-Establish some rules about who gets to hold the GPS and for how long, so you don't wind up with a fight on yor hands.

Here are some things that I learned the hard way.

Everything that has been said is correct, just add

1 Always print out the cache page.

2 for the first few, print the logs with the pages

3 Always decrypt the hint before printing, and fold the page so you do not immediately see the hint

4 Don't spend forever looking for the cache. The kids get restless and discouraged. If you don't find it in a reasonable amount of time (for me that is 30 minutes others say 15), look at the hint.

5 If the hint does not work make sure to check the logs, and if you do forget to print the logs, take the phone number of someone who may be by the computer and able to log on to the site and check the information for you

6 Take pictures. I did not do this, and I wish I had

Some necessities:

Tweezers

Bug spray

Paper to write information for puzzles or to remember what you want to write when you return to log

Always carry a pen to and from every cache. I have gotten to a cache and the pen was wet and did not work, or had been accidentally removed.

One last piece of advice for the younger kids. I have a log for each person so they can keep up with the number of finds because sometimes I only take them one at a time. I then also keep a spreadsheet at home in Excel that I have listed each cache, by person and have a place to mark who actually spotted the cache. We are a very competitive family! If you would like to see a copy of my spreadsheet, email me and I will send it to you.

Two bits of advice:

First, take a look at Thot's Beginners' Guide. There are a lot of good tips there for beginners.

Second, when you get ready to go find a cache, mark your car as a waypoint. It is amazing how turned around you can get when wandering around in circles looking for where the little container is hidden. Yes, you'll forget to do this. Yes, you'll kick yourself for forgetting. In your case, of course, you can just send one boy in each direction until somebody finds the road. :)

Welcome to the recreational activity/sport/hobby/addiction!

Edited by Sputnik 57