Gps For A Dummy

Sand-Man

What makes you think your GPSr is not giving you the right coordinates?

Maybe there a coordinate format problem. How are the coordinates being shown on your receiver? Do they look like N 41° 45.000 W 088° 30.000 or do they look like N 41.75000 W 088.50000?

Maybe there a coordinate format problem. How are the coordinates being shown on your receiver? Do they look like N 41° 45.000 W 088° 30.000 or do they look like N 41.75000 W 088.50000?

I went to a location that someone else had found and had taken a picture of their GPS with the same coord called out for the location. Mine showed to be off by about 11 minutes. I figured I probably have something set wrong...... It repeats it's self very accurately but to get to a given location..... I'm not real sure it's doing that...

Edited by Sand-Man

I went to a location that someone else had found and had taken a picture of their GPS with the same coord called out for the location. Mine showed to be off by about 11 minutes. I figured I probably have something set wrong...... It repeats it's self very accurately but to get to a given location..... I'm not real sure it's doing that...

Check what datum you're using. It should be set to WGS84.

Check what datum you're using. It should be set to WGS84.

I checked that and it's set to WGS84 as a default. Maybe it is giving me the right information and I am just looking at it wrong. I'll have more confidance in it when I find one of these things...... I tride cheking it with a benchmark and if the mark is in the right place, I've either got something set wrongor it's doing something wrong.....

Sand Man - Your Garmin 12 is an older unit that does NOT use the WAAS system for increased accuracy. The Garmin GPS 12 uses a position averaging feature which diminishes the effects of Selective Availability (SA) upon position error and displays a value that reflects the estimated accuracy of the averaged position.

Simply put - Your older GPS may not be capable of the same kind of accuracy as a newer GPS.

Perhaps there are some settings that might improve things a bit.

Try here for a manual for your Garmin http://www.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?...ct=010-00146-00

While the 12 is a non-WAAS model, I used it to find several caches successfully. The main disadvantage is that as it counts down the distance to the cache, it does so in .01 miles, so it never goes below 52.8 feet. When I got close, I would switch to the satellite page and walk until my coordinates matched those of the cache. It was then generally within 20 feet or so, about the same as I get with my 60C.

If your datum is WGS84 and your position format is hddd° mm.mmm, you should be getting pretty darn close.

If you are off my 11 MINUTES, that is about 12.5 miles. Something there is seriously amiss.

The most likely problem is the coordinate setting. Make sure it is hddd mm.mmm. If you are using another format then your coordinates won't match those from geocaching.com Page 44 of the manual for that unit says that is the default mode for your unit but you should check to be sure it hasn't been changed.

Thanks for all the very good help with this. I have reinitiated the unit and checked for all the settngs metioned in the above post and it seems to be right on the money now. I'm headed out to find the one in Depew in just a little while. I'll post another note when I find anything....

After trying to find my 1st couple of Caches, I've discovered that my GPS is not giving me the right coords. Ive got a Garmin 12 and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.... Anyone got any suggestions

you can get the book GPS for Dummies, or Geocaching for Dummies. I have Geocaching for Dummies and it like explains everything you'd ever need to know. Theres like thousands of references for web sites that you can go to for help, for maps, and for whatever you may need to help you find ur way. This web site is mentioned a few hundred times as well lol

I'll see if I can find that one. We had a pretty good day today. I took out this morning intent on finding the one Mico Cash that had eluded me.... Found that one (thanks to my wife) so we decided to look for another one at a near by lake. My wife again spotted that one.... Not to be outdone we treked through the woods to the next one about a mile away and I found that one. We had a great time walking with the dogs. We found some beautiful rock formations along the way and some great views of the lake, not to mention the load of ticks. But we really had a great time. My GPS seams to be right on the money now but I found that not all of them are where they are supposed to be....Hapy hunting y'all