Etiquette And Semantics

Had a bit of a quarrel regarding a first to find. It's been resolved now but it begs a question, when is a cache elegible to be found?

Background: 4 caches were hidden (and posted), each with part of the coordinates to another cache, due to problems with the posting mechanism the final cache wasn't posted until several days after the initial 4. When is the final cache eligable to be "found"?

I went out 2 days after the original 4 were posted, put the clues together and proceeded to find the final cache, which was in place and found it. I didn't have the information for the cache in my Palm Pilot but I assumed I had just updated my information before the final cache was posted, and that either the cache would tell me how to log it or I would find the final cache posted when I returned home to log my finds for the day. There were no logs in the physical log book and the FTF prize was in place (which I took, assuming I was the FTF), was I the First To Find or should I have waited until it was posted on the website?

Second, when entering this find on the web site should I enter the date I found the cache or the date the cache was posted (2 days later)?

I kinda think that as long as everyone else has a fair shake at getting the FTF, then it's good to go!

That is, as long as all the info needed has been posted on the internet then go for it. In this case, all the info was posted, right? The final cache wasn't listed, but the coords were available in the other four... ?

But then again, what do I know? Just my .02.

t's been resolved now but it begs a question, when is a cache elegible to be found?

Whenever the owner decides to. Geocaching.com is a listing service used to advertize caches. If the owner chooses to send the coordinates to friends before publishing it here, post it on his own website, or on another listing service before listing it here its is his right.

FTF is the first person to sign the log book. Period. It doesn't matter how they got there.

what about totatl camo'ed caches, i.e. the pinecone cache hanging from a tree. Do you guys think these help the sport or detract from it? the unfindable cache. A georock in a mountain of rocks....etc...

No such thing as an "unfindable" cache. There are those that are much harder to find than others tho. To me, the fake pinecone, fake bolt, nano container, fake rock, etc etc makes it way more exciting and adds a level of difficulty that I appreciate.

i kind of want to place a brick cache. there is a wall near my apartment with a single red brick missing and i want to fill in the hole with a brick. too much? what would you rate this cache?

I think a fake brick sounds awesome, my question would be the area. Is this spot in a place that someone could hunt for the cache without being bothered? Is it on the apartment complex grounds (in other words, Private Property), and if so, could you get permission to have it there?

I love tricky cammo'ed caches, as long as they are in a place that I can spend the time to find them without being hassled or feel like I'm going to have the cops called on me.