List Category In The Directory ?

When I set up my Categories, I had to enable them to be seen in the Directory. At the time I thought it was a strange question... I mean, why wouldn't I?

Now I find out that there is a "Ferries and Ferry Crossings" that is not visible (The Owner will adding it soon), but I am aware of others as well.

That got me thinking... why would a person create a Category and want to keep it secret? I thought everything would be in the Directory.

What reasons are there to have a private Category? How do you participate in the Invisible Categories? How do you find them? There could be great Categories out there that no one knows about... that seems rather pointless, but maybe I'm missing a good reason.

A secret society perhaps :) ? But seriously (or maybe I am and don't know it)

:) The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Hey! Are You Talking About Me? You talking to me? :)

Patience is a man's greatest virtue!

What's the hurry?

Creative thinking may mean simply the realization that there's no particular virtue in doing things the way they always have been done.

Rudolf Flesch

Ive noticed that a few categories are no visible in the directory, yet were approved and promoted by the group. I can find them by searching old threads for a link to the group. The categories are accepting waymarks, but are not visible in the directory. At first I thought it was deliberate on their parts, but Im wondering if it is just a mistake on their parts. Im wondering if it is it too hard for managers to see that they have to set the category visible in their settings once it is approved. The most recent one that I saw with this problem is Scenic Overlooks. Perhaps this needs to be addressed, since it seems to be a problem with some categories.

It seems that this was a change in one of the recent software changes. I don't remember having to do anything to make my earlier category visible but when one my most recent category was approved I couldn't figure out why I could not see it in the directory. The visibilty factor is stated in the approval email, however mine was approved during the days when emails were not being sent.

Yeah JAKE39.... I'm taking about YOU :laughing:

No, really, there are many APART FROM YOURS, that are not visible... and I was wondering if there was any reason to not list Categories in the Directory.

A secret Category might be fun, especially the WOW one :unsure: , or should I say "Best Kept Secrets".

It could be a useful thing for some topics of an adult-only nature too... but I would rather think of something fun to do with it.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

I was wondering yesterday afternoon about this and emailed a leader about it thinking that it might be a bug. Then today I run across this thread and also get an email about the new category (Scenic Railroads) that just came thru peer review, which I haven't released yet. The reason I had for not releasing it yet is because I needed to fix a few items. I also changed and clarified a few other items at the suggestion of voters in the peer review process and then requested that the other officers take a look at it and give suggestions for last minute tweaks or corrections. I will be sending it to the directory this morning some time.

I can understand to a degree why some may want to hold off during the initial rush. Some of the new categories have almost become lost (in my mind) in the jumble of all the new categories that are cropping up.

:laughing: