Driving And Geocaching Unit

I am wanting to buy and unit that gives great spoken driving directions, but can also be used for geocaching. Is there such a unit or do you have to buy 2 separate units? Help please!

I've been doing that for awhile. I used a PocketPC PDA to run a SatNav program for driving, and BeeLineGPS for geocaching. It worked well, but even so I've just ordered a seperate Garmin Vista C for geocaching. As Red90 said, a PDA is simply not rugged enough for geocaching. After having got it wet in the pouring rain, nearly dropping it in a river or smashing it off a rock face, I decided to retire it before I broke it completely.

Just get two units - a dedicated SatNav and a dedicated handheld GPS.

No single device is perfect for everything. But the Garmin Quest models are pretty good for both driving (spoken directions, automotive mount/charger/maps included, charge while driving) and handheld use (decent life per charge, easily pocketable, waterproof and reasonably durable).

Spoken directions would be nice, but don't automatically dismiss the alarm ones.

My 76cs takes me where I need to go and only takes a glance at the screen for directions.

Try to find someone in your area with a 60 or 76 (and uses City Select) and try it out.

I'll second Peter's nod for the Quest. I got one for my directionally challenged daughter. I came with City Select maps to guide her around Houston with voice commands. She and her husband also use it to cache, and it works as well as my 60C. I think it is a great unit for multiple purpose use.

One more vote for the Quest. Considering the purchase price includes the latest version of CitySelect maps, it is a great deal. I particularly like using it with an external antenna with a short cable (3 ft) so I can put it in my pocket without losing a signal.

I am wanting to buy and unit that gives great spoken driving directions, but can also be used for geocaching. Is there such a unit or do you have to buy 2 separate units? Help please!

As others have said, the Quest series will do what you want.

Let me add this:

I owned - for about a week - a StreetPilot i3. (same as the i5 but with no internal memory - you load maps to the microSD card)

It had WONDERFUL street mapping, overhead and quasi 3D view options, alert tones and voice prompts.

I discovered geocaching while I had this unit and promptly returned it in favor of a GPSmap 60Cx - which then go returned for a 60CSx.

The 60Cx and CSx did the same type of street mapping as the StreetPilot, alert tones, "turn ahead" alert screens etcetera. The ONLY things the 60 didn't do were the voice prompts and quasi 3D map (it may in fact, I just haven't seen it).

The alert tones were the same as the StreetPilot (and I believe the Quest as well) with the 60. I don't miss the voice prompts because the audio cues and "turn ahead" screens are SO user friendly you will know exactly what to do.

As I see it, the Quest and 60 are VERY close in terms of functionality. The 60 leans toward geocaching, hiking, biking, boating and does auto-routing extremely well. The Quest leans toward auto-routing and can do the rest - though, IMO, it doesn't do "the rest" as well as the 60 does auto-routing.

One thing: the volume level on the 60 is much lower than dedicated street mapping units. I was able to crank the StreetPilot up to where alerts would startle you. The 60 is difficult to hear if you have the radio on and windows open.

Why not buy one or both units from a store you can return the unit to for a full refund? CostCo's return policy was what let me try a couple of units out before settling on this 60CSx.

Regards & good luck,

Chris

I had a StreetPilot III and ended up giving it away to a friend once I realized that I much preferred using my 60cs for both geocaching and driving.

Even though I had the spoken direction with the StreetPiolt, it took me about a week to determine that it was really annoying to listen to.

If I were to buy another gps today for both driving and geocaching, I'd get another 60csx.

I'd second the Garmin 60CSx. I've got one for travelling and for Geocaching. Fantastic unit and you can fix it to your car windscreen when driving.

I use CityNavigator and that works really well and also autoroutes. Speed camera database download is a must if you travel a lot.

For geocaching, the 60CSx is waterproof and stores loads of cache sites in its huge memory.

David

I use my 60CS for auto routing. It does not give voice prompts as others have already mentioned. I rent a lot while traveling and many of the vehicles have neverlost which does give voice prompts. My passengers and I much prefer the 60CS. You can customize the prompts so that it is easy to know what is coming up. I have the first prompt as a long beep to tell me to check the screen and get ready, and the second prompt at a ringing bell when it is time to actually make the move. It is a lot less irritating than that stupid voice all the time.

:anibad: