Feature Request: Pickup Tb While Logging Visit

g011um

I can drop a Travel Bug easily enough while logging my visit to a cache, just by selecting it from the list of TBs geocaching.com thinks I have in my possession. Why not allow us to pick up a TB in the same fashion?

Remember that when picking up a TB you must enter the tag number as proof you have the TB. I suppose you could have a text box on the cache logging page where you could enter the numbers of the TBs you took. What if you enter a number for a TB that's not in the cache (according to the database)? Did you enter the wrong number or did you enter the right number and its just that whoever dropped the TB didn't log the drop right? Raine will have a lot of work just to figure out how to handle all the possible exceptions.

I usually just grab a bug and toss it in my backpack. Then when I get home I go thru the bugs and log them separately from logging the caches. So I would still want to be able to do it that way. My problem is dropping bugs. I always forget to do it when I log the cache - so I wind up having to log a separate note to drop the bug :unsure:

I can drop a Travel Bug easily enough while logging my visit to a cache, just by selecting it from the list of TBs geocaching.com thinks I have in my possession. Why not allow us to pick up a TB in the same fashion?

There's already a clickable list of TBs on the cache page.

Maybe I don't understand how you envision this working. Care to elaborate?

Edited by Prime Suspect

There's already a clickable list of TBs on the cache page.

Maybe I don't understand how you envision this working. Care to elaborate?

I asked for this very thing some time ago. It would work essentially the same as when logging a find.

If you are logging a find and you have bugs in your nventory, you have apick list below the log entry box where you can click on the bugs you want to drop in that cache as part of your log.

Why not also have a pick list of the bugs that are in the cache that you can select to grab from the cache? The logger can then be prompted for the tracking numbers in another page or a pop-up for verification.

That's a good ideia.

Wouldn't it be good to see something like this:

- If there's a TB in the cache, and you're logging a found as you press the button submit log, shouldn't appear a notice telling something like "There's one or more travelbugs in the cache. Have you picked one or more?", with the answer yes or no. If yes, you'd register the pickup the same way you register a drop today.

My problem is dropping bugs. I always forget to do it when I log the cache - so I wind up having to log a separate note to drop the bug :unsure:

As I wrote in this post, would be nice to see a notice while pressing submit with the message "You've got one or more tb's in your inventory. Have you dropped one or more in this cache?". If yes, we'd have the chance to drop him in the log.

I don't know if that could be annoying, but you'd only see this message in a cache with TB's and/or if you have TB's in your inventory.

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

Why not also have a pick list of the bugs that are in the cache that you can select to grab from the cache? The logger can then be prompted for the tracking numbers in another page or a pop-up for verification.

It wouldn't have to be another page or a pop-up - the pick list could have a set of check boxes to select the TBs and a set of fields into which you would enter the TB's number. This would be an easier UI to navigate I think.

My problem is dropping bugs. I always forget to do it when I log the cache - so I wind up having to log a separate note to drop the bug :unsure:

As I wrote in this post, would be nice to see a notice while pressing submit with the message "You've got one or more tb's in your inventory. Have you dropped one or more in this cache?". If yes, we'd have the chance to drop him in the log.

I don't know if that could be annoying, but you'd only see this message in a cache with TB's and/or if you have TB's in your inventory.

It would be annoying. I found 20 micros and have click no I didn't drop any TBs for everyone of them. No thanks. The once or twice I have to go back an log a note because I forgot to click on the bug when I logged the cache is much less annoying. I think I forget a lot because I have to scroll down the page to see the list of bugs in my inventory.

It wouldn't have to be another page or a pop-up - the pick list could have a set of check boxes to select the TBs and a set of fields into which you would enter the TB's number. This would be an easier UI to navigate I think.

There's a number of ways this could be implemented, but personally, I like Geofellas suggestion the best. Write the log, drop a bug, pickup a bug. Everything is on one page.

Selecting the TBs on the log entry page, then being prompted for the tracking numbers after submitting the log would be acceptable too I think.

tozainamboku, I was by no means suggesting the current method of picking up TB be replaced. I just think it would be nice to have the ability to write the log and grab the bug at the same time, for those that prefer it. Just as you can when dropping off a bug.

That's a good ideia.

- If there's a TB in the cache, and you're logging a found as you press the button submit log, shouldn't appear a notice telling something like "There's one or more travelbugs in the cache. Have you picked one or more?", with the answer yes or no. If yes, you'd register the pickup the same way you register a drop today.

No thanks. With the number of micros out there, it may be 20 finds in the future before I'm able to drop a bug I've picked up. I really don't want pointless nag messages popping up every time I post a log.

Besides, there's already the drop-down list that only appears if your have something in your inventory, which you have to scroll past to get to the Submit button. Isn't that more than enough of a reminder?

I don't see how this is fundamentally different from selecting them from the tbug list already on the cache page.

Good point. Then if the TB's number was not entered, the bug is not transferred and an error message can be displayed on the resulting log screen stating so, why, and that the bug still needs to be logged.

Edited by Semper Questio

I don't see how this is fundamentally different from selecting them from the tbug list already on the cache page.

Fundamentally, I don't suppose it is. But if all the redundant features of the site were removed just because they were fundamentally the same as another feature, then I'm sure there would be a lot fewer bells and whistles for us to play with. B)

For convenience and usability, having all logging tasks, including bug logging, all clustered together on the logging page would be pretty darn handy. Write out your log, set all your bug trasnfers, enter your bug codes, hit submit, all done. A lot smoother than bouncing around various pages looking up bugs, re-entering tracking numbers, etc. Who know...maybe, just maybe, it could help out on the server load a bit too by cutting down on some of those page and related image fetches.

And then, with the announcement of the the new log type for bugs, I suppose there will probably have to be some kind of coding to allow for marking those that were grabbed and marking those that were "discovered". :ph34r:

That's a good ideia.

No thanks. With the number of micros out there, it may be 20 finds in the future before I'm able to drop a bug I've picked up. I really don't want pointless nag messages popping up every time I post a log.

Besides, there's already the drop-down list that only appears if your have something in your inventory, which you have to scroll past to get to the Submit button. Isn't that more than enough of a reminder?

Sorry, Prime - I think you're missing it. This has NOTHING to do with a nag for bugs already in YOUR inventory. So this doesn't involve micros. If you have a cache bug* in your inventory, and the cache has nothing in its inventory, this feature request will not affect you.

This request is that if there is a cache that already has bugs in the cache's inventory, when you log the cache, it says "There were three Travel Bugs in the cache. Did you pick any up?" and then it gives you the list again.

Obviously the newbs aren't seeing the list and figuring it out. This might help them, or prompt people that might otherwise forget.

Not a bad idea.

*Oops. Typed "cache" - meant "bug"

Edited by Markwell

That's a good ideia.

Sorry, Prime - I think you're missing it. This has NOTHING to do with a nag for bugs already in YOUR inventory. So this doesn't involve micros. If you have a cache in your inventory, and the cache has nothing in its inventory, this feature request will not affect you.

This request is that if there is a cache that already has bugs in the cache's inventory, when you log the cache, it says "There were three Travel Bugs in the cache. Did you pick any up?" and then it gives you the list again.

Obviously the newbs aren't seeing the list and figuring it out. This might help them, or prompt people that might otherwise forget.

Not a bad idea.

I thinks it's a great idea. Sounds like it would solve the problem of people not logging TBs. There are a lot of instances where a cacher picking up a bug merely mentions in his/her online log that they picked it up, thinking that's all it takes, never actually going through the TB logging process.

That's a good ideia.

Sorry, Prime - I think you're missing it. This has NOTHING to do with a nag for bugs already in YOUR inventory. So this doesn't involve micros. If you have a cache bug* in your inventory, and the cache has nothing in its inventory, this feature request will not affect you.

Not a bad idea.

*Oops. Typed "cache" - meant "bug"

You're right, I misread the OM. But my point is the same. I don't want nag boxes popping up when I'm logging caches.