Garmin Etrex Vista Cx

Is it advisable to always leave the WAAS setting on? Does this setting consume more battery power? Is it as effective on the ground vs. in the air?

It is a choice, but you will have less position error when receiving waas.

Others will disagree, but, yes, it consumes somewhat more power while searching for the waas sats and processing the data, but I've heard it is not a great deal of power.

Somewhat more effective in the air because there are less obstructions.

I leave it on except when in heavy timber.

Is it advisable to always leave the WAAS setting on? Does this setting consume more battery power? Is it as effective on the ground vs. in the air?

I advise leaving it on, unless you are sure you can't get WAAS reception wherever you are. Savings in battery life by turning it off is marginal at best.

If you are planning a long hike in a forest, then not using WAAS is a reasonable choice, since your GPSr's accuracy will be suspect anyway due to the reduced number of locks to satellites. I still keep it on, just in case I run into a clearing.

For current area coverage, check here: http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/vpl.html

I love that map. Typical government scientists (of which I am one) - nice pretty image, with no clue as to what it means! It's probably not intended for the average Joe, but a color-key would be nice. Blue is 20, dark red is 120. WTF does that mean to me? :-)

"Vertical Protection Level (VPL). The Vertical Protection Level is half the length of a segment on the vertical axis (perpendicular to the horizontal plane of WGS-84 ellipsoid), with its center being at the true position, which describes the region that is assured to contain the indicated vertical position. It is based upon the error estimates provided by WAAS."

It reflects assured accuracy of vertical position.

The important thing is, it shows the current real time service area for waas with ionospheric corrections. The other link will show you service area without the ionospheric corrections. (clock and sat position corrected)

Except, 47 is the only Bird that is operational in view of the USA and it is not visible in Florida.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/inmar3f3.html

35 will work, but is not reading easily on the new "X" models.... http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/inmar3f4.html

Like I said, no fully operational WAAS birds are covering Florida at the moment.

35 is fully operational as far as WAAS goes. It is not sending ranging, but the WAAS part of it is working. SOME of the new models with the new chip are having problems. Some are not. It is the units, not the birds that are messed. But you knew all that. I have offered current info on coverage. The coverage is there. Some of the new units may or may not work with waas even when ranging is restored. They need a garmin fix, which should be coming soon.