Why Do You Cache? A Questionnaire

I’m a geography major at the University of Texas. I’m doing a research paper on geocachers. Would you take a few minutes and respond to my questionnaire? There are only 11 questions – you can answer as briefly (or as lengthily) as you like.

1. How did you learn about geocaching?

a. Friend

b. Family

c. Read an article

d. Saw others doing it

e. Other _____________________

2. How often do you geocache?

a. A few times a year

b. Several times a month

c. Whenever I can!

3. Do you prefer

a. Urban hunts

b. Nature hunts

c. I love them both

d. Other _____________________

4. Do you consider yourself a/an:

a. Athlete

b. Gadget person

c. Hobbyist

d. Adventurer

5. What do you enjoy most about it?

a. Time alone

b. Time w/fellow cachers

c. Being in nature

d. The thrill of the find

6. Do you go with others?

a. Family

b. Friends

c. Dogs

d. Other _______________________

7. How many caches have you found/hidden?

8. My favorite find was: (I love stories!)

9. Do you have other hobbies?

10. I live in (city/state/country): ___________________

11. Level of Education:

a. High school degree

b. College degree

c. Post-college degree

d. Other

Thank you for your time - cache on!

I’m a geography major at the University of Texas. I’m doing a research paper on geocachers. Would you take a few minutes and respond to my questionnaire? There are only 11 questions – you can answer as briefly (or as lengthily) as you like.

a. Friend

b. Family

c. Read an article

d. Saw others doing it

a. A few times a year

b. Several times a month

c. Whenever I can!

3. Do you prefer

a. Urban hunts

b. Nature hunts

c. I love them both

a. Athlete

b. Gadget person

c. Hobbyist

d. Adventurer

a. Time alone

b. Time w/fellow cachers

c. Being in nature

a. Family

b. Friends

c. Dogs

d. Other __All of the above_____________________

7. How many caches have you found/hidden? Found 310; hidden 4

8. My favorite find was: (I love stories!) We have lots of favorites, for different reasons. One of the most beautiful was Grayton Gamble at Grayton Beach, outside Destin, FL; we love Grant's Debacle because it's one of those places we've driven over a hundred times and never, ever would have known it was there (sits underneath the bridge over the MS River in Delta, Louisiana); we loved Azalea, just outside Orlando because it sits in the most serene spot in an absolutely beautiful park; Wilson House TB Inn because the container is awesome; White Oak Flats in Gatlinburg because of the fun we had with family just trying to get there; The Stone Door Earthcache because we stumbled on it when we crashed an AL/GA/TN Geocachers event (everyone was SO nice, a really great group); He Bought a House in Vicksburg, MS because of the story behind it (a Civil War buff, trying to find one of the cannons buried around town during the Siege of V'burg during Civil War, ended up buying a house in order to be able to dig up this cannon); Mexican Hat cache in Mexican Hat, UT, because the drive to and from the cache was spectacular, and I now have a great picture of my husband "wearing" the hat; the USS Arizona anchor virtual because it was such a moving place, and the scale of the anchor is awesome; O Brother, Where Did Thou Go because we loved the movie, and the place is in the middle of NOWHERE!! We also loved Kiroli Kids because it's in a fabulous city park in West Monroe, LA; It's Not Easy Being Green in Leland, MS, because it gave us an excuse to stop at the exhibit dedicated to Jim Henson and his friend Kermit; Colonel Klink's Revenge in Hattiesburg, MS, because it is so hard for people of my generation to fully imagine that time and place, and it got my mom telling stories of her childhood in Cleveland, OH - how they would have the drills and have to get under their desks, etc.; Emerald Mound cache in Natchez, MS, because it was the first time we even semi-successfully learned how to project waypoints and use UTM, etc. (we ended up a little off, but close enough we found it); Pelahatchie Turtle Soup and Brashear's Creek in Jackson, MS area, because they were great family fun times - had an absolute ball doing them with sisters and Mom and our whole crew; Bonita Lakes because it is such a beautiful park we'd have never discovered in Meridian, MS - and it's MS's first cache, kind of a "holy grail" moment; Paved Paradise, Put up a Parking Lot in Flowood, MS because it's the first time we met other cachers "in the wild" - we now consider them fine friends; Hemlock Falls in Gatlinburg because it was the last time we got to cache with our black lab KT - have an awesome picture that we both cherish with the 3 of us in front of the fall - what a great day that was! Menu Venu in New Orleans, because of the stealth factor; and So Many Storeys in Chicago, because the view is awesome!

9. Do you have other hobbies? this one seems to occupy most of our free time these days

10. I live in (city/state/country): ______Clinton, MS, USA_____________

11. Level of Education:

a. High school degree

b. College degree

c. Post-college degree

d. Other

Thank you for your time - cache on!

a. Friend

b. Family

c. Read an article

d. Saw others doing it

a. A few times a year

b. Several times a month

c. Whenever I can!

3. Do you prefer

a. Urban hunts

b. Nature hunts

c. I love them both

a. Athlete

b. Gadget person

c. Hobbyist

d. Adventurer

a. Time alone

b. Time w/fellow cachers

c. Being in nature

a. Family

b. Friends

c. Dogs

d. Other _______________________

7. How many caches have you found/hidden?

600+/9

8. My favorite find was: (I love stories!)

Have several favorites.

9. Do you have other hobbies?

motorcycling

10. I live in (city/state/country): _Youngstown Ohio area (USA)_

11. Level of Education:

a. High school degree

b. College degree

c. Post-college degree

d. Other

Sorry, but unless you've obtained prior permission from Groundspeak, use of the forums for questionnaires is not permitted. If you did obtain approval, you would've been instructed to say this in your opening post so that the moderators would not lock your thread.

I am locking your thread. If I am mistaken please send me a PM.