Have I Found This Cache?

jermover

I often look for caches along my route when I trave in the state map pages. I zoom into the route, find a cache, and identify it. I then click on the link for that cache below to go to the cache page and print it if I have not found it. I am having a hard time keeping track of the ones I have found. Is there a way to know if I have done this cache without scrolling down to see my log or going back to the search for cache page and seeing my check mark next to the cache in the list? It would be nice if that check mark that shows that I have done a cache showed up when I open the cache listing.

Thanks

I often look for caches along my route when I trave in the state map pages. I zoom into the route, find a cache, and identify it. I then click on the link for that cache below to go to the cache page and print it if I have not found it. I am having a hard time keeping track of the ones I have found. Is there a way to know if I have done this cache without scrolling down to see my log or going back to the search for cache page and seeing my check mark next to the cache in the list? It would be nice if that check mark that shows that I have done a cache showed up when I open the cache listing.

Thanks

On the cache page, click on "Nearby caches that I haven't found". If the cache you were looking a appears at the top of the list, you haven't found it yet. :blink:

:) While it nice that there are other ways to get this information, I too would like to see this information on the cache page. The date found is located on the "find..." page, but I often come to a page from GSAK or other means and it would greatly simplify my life if the cache page displayed this information. While on this topic, I would also like to see a "vist log" link like that found on the "My Account Details" page.

:laughing: While it nice that there are other ways to get this information, I too would like to see this information on the cache page. The date found is located on the "find..." page, but I often come to a page from GSAK or other means and it would greatly simplify my life if the cache page displayed this information. While on this topic, I would also like to see a "vist log" link like that found on the "My Account Details" page.

Agreed. And tho the greasemonkey script - as a rule - is handy, it does require that you also use the 'view all logs' script which means to get the counts and the notes of your log entries you must have the entire page of all logs loaded. Not always a good thing and I doubt it's doing the servers any favors the more people start using this method.

If you use Firefox, there's a Greasemonkey script that will summarize all your log entries at the very top of the cache page. It will show your smiley or frownie(s) or note(s), and the date of each log.

I use Opera and MS Internet Explorer. Which solution gives it for it?

The best solution is, if on the cachesite is indicated whether found or not found.

That is a task for Groundspeak <_<

If you're viewing a cache page, and you want to know if you've already logged it, you're going to click the View All Logs link. So there's no real additional hit on the server. What the script does it automate the process of searching through all the logs for your name. A list of your logs will be show in the upper right, including the date and type of log. Click on an entry, and the page is repositioned to that log.

TotalsByLogType2.png

Script

Edited by Prime Suspect

If you're viewing a cache page, and you want to know if you've already logged it, you're going to click the View All Logs link. So there's no real additional hit on the server. What the script does it automate the process of searching through all the logs for your name. A list of your logs will be show in the upper right, including the date and type of log. Click on an entry, and the page is repositioned to that log.

{image snipped for brevity}

You're absolutely correct, Prime. My question is, would this be less taxing if Groundspeak did this with direct queries to their databases when the page is first rendered? I have no idea how their databases are configured and I have no idea how your script derives the information, so I have no basis for comparing the performance of the 2 methods. Just a thought.

{image snipped for brevity}

You're absolutely correct, Prime. My question is, would this be less taxing if Groundspeak did this with direct queries to their databases when the page is first rendered? I have no idea how their databases are configured and I have no idea how your script derives the information, so I have no basis for comparing the performance of the 2 methods. Just a thought.

It stands to reason that there would be at least a small additional hit to provide this info, regardless of how many logs are displayed. But most of the time people don't want to look at all the logs. So there's a trade-off between a small additional hit all the time, and the bigger hit occasionally.

The original purpose of the script was actually for cache owners, so they could quickly and easily get totals broken down by log type. It was simple to tack on the "your logs" function, since all the info needed was already at hand.

BTW, for those unfamiliar with how Greasemonkey scripts work, all the processing is done locally (i.e. on your PC).