Gpsmap 60 Advice

Hi,

I've just purchased a GPSMAP 60 (atlantic version) after using an eTrex yellow for some time.

I've noticed that some of the roads local to us aren't on the device.

Can I get these added or does the GPSMAP 60 only provide motorways?

TIA

Dave

That device come loaded with a very basic 'base map'. You'll need to purchase one of Garmin's MapSource packages if you want 'street level' mapping and routing functionality.

Cool. So if I were to go for something like city select (european version), this would be ok?

One other thing, do you have to upgrade the software versions in sequence?

e.g. I know where I can purchase the full version 6 software cheaply and get an update disc for version 8.

Many thanks

Dave

Edited by Hidden Gems

Cool. So if I were to go for something like city select (european version), this would be ok?

e.g. I know where I can purchase the full version 6 software cheaply and get an update disc for version 8.

Many thanks

Dave

Go HERE and downoad the updater.

Plug your Garmin into the puter then run the updater to get the latest software update. :huh:

Many thanks

Dave

I think hidden gems was refering to the mapping software not the gps firmware!

If you purchase v6 second hand you will have to make sure it has at least one unlock code left on the yellow coupon or you will not be able to load the maps onto your gps you could also have to pay nearly £50 for the upgrade to City Navigator v8 depening on when v6 was first registered.The map tiles are to large to be of practical use to you with the limited memory available in your gps

you can buy MetroGuide which has small map tiles quite cheaply which is not locked and is supposed not to autoroute but there are ways around this. :)

Dave

Edited by oddsock

you can buy MetroGuide quite cheaply which is not locked and is supposed not to autoroute but there are ways around this. :)

Dave

I have an old copy of Metroguide loaded on my 60Csx with auto-routing.

Would I be infringing any copy-writes if I put a how-to on my web page ?

you can buy MetroGuide quite cheaply which is not locked and is supposed not to autoroute but there are ways around this. :)

Dave

I have an old copy of Metroguide loaded on my 60Csx with auto-routing.

Would I be infringing any copy-writes if I put a how-to on my web page ?

You would only need the url of the place to download the software but I don't know what the Mods would think of that ,but there again its only another way of sending .img files to the Gps that leaves all the data intact

Dave

Hi,

I too have just taken delivery of a shiney new 60CSx.

I already had a trusty old Ique 3600 that I have had for a couple of years.

I tried to load the City Navigator software that came with it but found that I needed the original Ique CD which I stored away somewhere so safe that I can't find it anywhere.

One call to the good people at Garmin support not only did they give me another unlock code so that I could use the software but also sent free of charge a new Ique Cd as well!

Top people. :)

Pleased to say that all is now working well.

Also check out the Garmin PIO loader software.

A free package that allows you to download points of interest such as Petrol stations, WiFi hot spots etc etc.

Just need to find a way of using it for warning me of speed camera positions. :lol:

Just my tuppenneth

SL

Edited by Team Marigold

A free package that allows you to download points of interest such as Petrol stations, WiFi hot spots etc etc.

Just need to find a way of using it for warning me of speed camera positions. :lol:

Just my tuppenneth

SL

Poi Loader does not support my gpsmap 60c :) where the Cx series it does.

HBH, see my previous post re Metroguide!!

Dave

---snip---

Just need to find a way of using it for warning me of speed camera positions. :)

Just my tuppenneth

SL

When you are importing the POI you have an option to "alert whenever you get close to a point".

Then you can set the distance of the alert.