Asking Permission

Your list seems strangely truncated. How about:

Do hikers ask permission to hike and throw their water bottles and trash all around trails?

Do fishermen ask permission to fish and throw beer cans and bottles all around?

Littering is against the law where I live.

Do mountainbikers ask permission to ride trails or make their own trails where they wish?

Creating unauthorized trails is against the law where I live.

Do thieves ask permission to steal?

Theft is against the law where I live

Do squatters ask permission to squat?

Squatting laws vary from place to place, but in some instances squatters have legal standing.

Does ignorance of the law provide an excuse?

Of course not, but I'm not aware of any anti-geocaching laws where I live.

Littering is against the law? Creating unauthorized trails, stealing? I wonder how you seem to know so much about the law, and yet know little or nothing about the law concerning geocaching? By your own admission, you're not aware of the laws and, yet, you realize ignorance is no excuse. I suggest you become more familiar with the laws in your area. If geocaching didn't involve behavior that appears illicit, LEOs would never have cause to approach geocachers for their geocaching behavior, many geocaching placement restrictions wouldn't have been instated, and so forth. Although I have always obtained permission for my cache placements, the permission obtained was unlawful and unofficial when the placements were on public property. Well, I break the law all the time. I drive over the speed limit, I don't always come to a complete stop at stop signs, etc. At least I don't claim or pretend ignorance.

Addendum: Maybe you meant, "I am fully aware of all laws, rules and regulations where I live and there are none restricting geocaching activity." If so, nevermind...

Edited by salmoned

In NYS, state parks require permission, but city and county parks have no specific restrictions against caching as far as I'm aware. In PA, the State Game Lands require no permission but the State Parks do. There are lots of places that require no permission. So a general accusation that cachers violate laws all the time is a little too damning.

By your own admission, you're not aware of the laws and, yet, you realize ignorance is no excuse. I suggest you become more familiar with the laws in your area. If geocaching didn't involve behavior that appears illicit, LEOs would never have cause to approach geocachers for their geocaching behavior, many geocaching placement restrictions wouldn't have been instated, and so forth. Although I have always obtained permission for my cache placements, the permission obtained was unlawful and unofficial when the placements were on public property. Well, I break the law all the time. I drive over the speed limit, I don't always come to a complete stop at stop signs, etc. At least I don't claim or pretend ignorance.

Addendum: Maybe you meant, "I am fully aware of all laws, rules and regulations where I live and there are none restricting geocaching activity." If so, nevermind...

it was a pseudo artistic use of understatement, so nevermind.

I went to a Geocaching event in Suburban Denver a couple of months ago. One of the organizers of the event was encouraging everyone present to hide at least one cache a month this year! Certainly a noble cause! Some made mention of private vs public land and she stated we should hide caches wherever we could because there really was no real private land left in the world. She made a reference to government land being in her opinion private since it was owned by the government.

I just thought this is so sad that she would make a silly statement like that infront of a group of 30 cachers. Becareful about listening to other people who might say its ok to place a cache in a given place, it may not be accurate, do your own homework.

Needless to say despite what she said, it always best to get permission. I have placed one and the greenbelts (multi) it is placed in have no policy one way or another concerning geocaching per the parks district. so it is not necessary to get permission.

Dan

Almost all land on Turtle Island is actually stolen land.

Ask and yee shall receive, you hope!

Don't ask and you might get burned!

Here is another story. One person went to city hall to obtain permission to get a cache. He was told that it had to go before the town council. The town council decided that the town attorneys had to review it. After several months they finally okayed the cache, but with several stipulations. First, the placer had to take out a 1 million dollar liability policy. Second, the cache could only be there for one day.

While the one owner was jumping through all those hoops, several other caches were placed in the park and remain there today without any issues.

The fact of the matter is that many land managers know about geocaching, don't see it as a problem and let it go on with a wink and a nod. As good old Sgt. Schultz used to say, "I know nooooothing, noooothing", thereby giving geocaching their tacit approval. But the minute a well meaning geocacher comes along and demands their official sanction, that changes things and the result isn't always positive for geocachers.

There are many success stories that come from approaching the authorities for permission and for every one, there is a negative outcome.

From a personal standpoint, I have a fundimental problem with the concept of begging my government for permission to do something that is legal and basically harmless.

Just another example of how our goverment burns money.