Downloading To Palm

When I download from GC to GSAK (online),and then to Cachemate to Palm Pilot while off line (just before going out), I get waypoints, distances, etc.---but no logs, hints, or discussion. I presently solve the problem, when I'm able to get online, by selecting a previously downloaded cache in GSAK then downloading the exchange file. This not only requires many mouse clicks, but involves rather lengthy loading of each site individually. There must be a more efficient way of getting the full information package for 50 or so on to my Palm. I'm kinda new at this, and not a real techy, so I'm always looking for an easier way. Help?? :laughing:

After I receive a pocket query, I use cmconvert to convert the gpx file to a cachemate file, and upload it using the regular PalmPilot desktop software. Gives me full descriptions, 5 logs and all other information.

I also load the gpx file into GSAK, but only use it to upload the waypoints to my GPS receiver.

Are you using Pocket Queries or just downloading from GC.com?

I might be wrong, but if you are clicking the download button on GC.com, you are getting the files in .loc instead of .GPX. You want the .GPX files to show all info.

After I receive a pocket query, I use cmconvert to convert the gpx file to a cachemate file, and upload it using the regular PalmPilot desktop software. Gives me full descriptions, 5 logs and all other information.

I also load the gpx file into GSAK, but only use it to upload the waypoints to my GPS receiver.

Thanx. I think that's just what I needed to get things going.

If your a Geocaching.com Premium member then create a Pocket Query for the area you want to cache in. Make sure you set the Pocket Query output to .gpx format. When you receive the PQ via email load it into GSAK and away you go. You can create a macro that will import the PQ and then export what ever files you need. I use GSAK to create and export all the files I need (Cachemate for Palm, Cachemate for Pocket PC, Delorme Street Atlas with HTML Links, Garmin MapSource with HTML limks, and files for my three different GPSr units.

Doing things this way - you lose half the capability of GSAK. GSAK will export PDB files for cachemate, send it to your palmdesktop for syncing. After the hunt palmdesktop will make the files availiable to GSAK. GSAK can then semi-auto log the cache and update your database.

I use a very low tech technique, but it works well.

I have a blackberry. I go to GC.com, unveil the complete logs and the hint. Copy and paste special (unformatted text) into an email and email it to myself. It then shows up on my blackberry.

For a palm, if you have the palm (I also have a palm) set to sync with your email, then you should be able to do a hot sync to your mail and the email should come over to the palm. Then just open the email and read it from your palm when out geocaching.

The only problem I could see, is palm may limit the amount of text that comes over on a mail hotsync.

Can GSAK export the files to use with cotoGPS instead of cachemate?

I found nothing at the cotoGPS site about it's I/O format. GSAK uses GPSbabel as it's I/O engine and here's what GPSbabel says:

cotoGPS, a Palm GPS program

Format for cotoGPS, a Palm GPS program. It can read both track and marker (waypoint) files. It is currently unable to write track files, so only marker files can be written. The marker categories are written to and read from the icon description. The 'Not Assigned' category leaves the icon description empty on read. Currently geocache info is ignored.

Options:

zerocat (output) - Name for the Palm 'Not Assigned' category. Defaults to 'Not Assigned'.

There is also a debugging option called 'internals' which takes a XCSV delimiter value. It writes some internal values (distance, arc, x and y) of the cotoGPS track format to the notes field. URL: core.de/~coto Contributed by Tobias Minich.

Is there a button to export to cotoGPS? NO! You will have to find out what cotoGPS needs as input file format and go from there. You can ask your question at http://www.gpsbabel.org/ and get a better response from them.

Edited by papatom2

Thanks for the tips. It all seems a little over my head at the moment but I'm gonna keep working on it little by little. I got this recomendation over on treocentral and it generates the file and I got it onto CotoGPS but it retitled my marker categories and I lost the markers I had already made. Plus it didn't have all the info like CacheMate does. So for now I'll use CMate and Cnav for gc'ing and use cotogps for other markers and tracks. It would be nice if my TomTom would just do all of this but oh well.

You should be able to do everything from within GSAK.

Button Click #1: It comes with a built-in command (or macro...I forget) that lets it log-in to my email account and download/unpack the Pocket Queries. It automatically appends those files into its database.

Button Click #2: It exports the current filtered list (local, unfound caches) to a Cachemate .pdb file and tells my Hotsync software to upload it to my Palm during the next Hotsync.

Button Click #3: It uploads the current filtered list into my GPS.

GeoBC