Going Paperless?

storm1

what can i do with a palm IIIc?

what software should i use? is there a free version that i can get until i'm sure the palm is going to work?

how many caches can i download into it?

can i transfer cache info from it to my legend c?

can i download pics from cache pages to it?

what can i do with a palm IIIc?

what software should i use? is there a free version that i can get until i'm sure the palm is going to work?

how many caches can i download into it?

can i transfer cache info from it to my legend c?

can i download pics from cache pages to it?

1. IIIc works great

2. CacheMate from smittyware

3. I have loaded 1500 caches and still had 2Mb memory left in mine

4. Not sure. Is it serial or USB?

5. is doable with additional software

I would add this Paperless Caching article to read. It explains it very clearly. This got me going paperless with my Palm IIIxe

until i can confirm if the pda is going to work, is there a free version of cachemate to try on the pda.

and since i'm currently using easygps, can i use that instead of gsak?

if i can get some software for the pda, can i download cache info to it without becoming a premium member on gc.com.

I would add this Paperless Caching article to read. It explains it very clearly. This got me going paperless with my Palm IIIxe

until i can confirm if the pda is going to work, is there a free version of cachemate to try on the pda.

if i can get some software for the pda, can i download cache info to it without becoming a premium member on gc.com.

There is a free cachemate - but it has limited downloads. Full version $US7. Without being a member, you can only down load lat/long. But hey, what's the cost of a Big Mac or a coke where you come from? If you can afford that, then you can afford to pay US$3 a month for gc.com.

I cache paperless with a Fortrex 101 and an old Palm III and Cachmate - since I do suburban and urban caching. If I were out yonder, I'd take a topo map and my trusty Silva.'

Total cost for paperless caching is 3.00 per month.

The reason is unless you are a premium member and can get pocket queries paperless doesnt make much sense.

There is a program called geoclip (I think) that will let you grab cache descriptions one at a time off the web site . This you could do without spending the three bucks...

But if you chose to become a member and spend the monthly fee.. everything else is free free free.

And you can download 500 yes 500 at a time.

1. Obtain your pocket query in your email

2. Run the resulting file through this free program GPX2HTML

3. Now you have a file that easy gps will download to your gps receiver.

4. You also have a html file called "index.html"

5. Convert this to Plucker (also free)

6. Sync the resulting file to your Palm

You now have 500 not found caches in your gpsr, and 500 cache descriptions on your Palm.

Does not get any easier and it's all free (well ok there is that pesky 3.00)

wingryder

There is a free cachemate - but it has limited downloads. Full version $US7. Without being a member, you can only down load lat/long. But hey, what's the cost of a Big Mac or a coke where you come from? If you can afford that, then you can afford to pay US$3 a month for gc.com.

I cache paperless with a Fortrex 101 and an old Palm III and Cachmate - since I do suburban and urban caching. If I were out yonder, I'd take a topo map and my trusty Silva.'

Close but no ceeegggaarrr!! CacheMate $8.00 :laughing::ph34r::unsure:

Black ink cartridge for Epson Printer - $35.00

Ream of paper - $4.00

Keeping track of printed sheets - Unknown amount of frustration.

Palm IIIxe - $25.00 on E-Bay

Premium Membership - $30.00/year

Cachemate - $8.00

GSAK - $20.00

Going Paperless - PRICELESS

EasyGPS doesn't load the cache name into the GPSr, GSAK does.

You can use cachemate free, but it will only allow 10 caches on your PDA.

You can use GSAK free for 21 days, then you get the nag screen.

Pocket Queries will let you load the whole cache page including logs.

I just went paperless this past week and it made a HUGE difference today.

Edited by Woodbutcher68