Tough Puzzle?

fretguy

Question for all of you seasoned puzzlers.

The cache in question:

GCTTRZ

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3d-f53808d58770

This is my cache, is it too tough? Too obvious? Too many lame puzzlers in this area? About on par?

I don't want it to be 'unapproachable', but I want it to be pretty challenging. Please give me some feedback on this. If I need to add some hints I'm OK with that, but how do you know when to give?

I am sensing that it is harder than I thought, but my esp has been on the fritz lately.

Thanks,

The cache in question:

GCTTRZ

This is my cache, is it too tough? Too obvious? Too many lame puzzlers in this area? About on par?

I don't want it to be 'unapproachable', but I want it to be pretty challenging. Please give me some feedback on this. If I need to add some hints I'm OK with that, but how do you know when to give?

I am sensing that it is harder than I thought, but my esp has been on the fritz lately.

Thanks,

A pattern that would be very hard to stumble upon accidentally becomes immediately apparent. It's impossible to make that pattern go away... It's 4am, I read it once - more a skim - and that pattern jumped out.

If that's not it, or not enough to show the way, let me know and I'll continue looking for the green guy's key...

The cache in question:

GCTTRZ

Thanks,

A pattern that would be very hard to stumble upon accidentally becomes immediately apparent. It's impossible to make that pattern go away... It's 4am, I read it once - more a skim - and that pattern jumped out.

If that's not it, or not enough to show the way, let me know and I'll continue looking for the green guy's key...

Thanks Adrenalyn - I am sufficiently reassured.

No puzzle is too hard. If someone thinks it is, that's what the ignore list is for.

How right you are. Can you imagine the strength of the puzzles facing

Alan Turing and the Bletchley team, and the consequences of not finding solutions.?

Edited by gerboa

Two people are watching the cache..........that says something. I'd say, no, it's not too hard. [but I have no clue how to solve it either]

I don't believe I'm giving anything away - if I am, the author can let me know and I'll happily nuke this...

I'm generally "pretty good" with puzzles. I wrote (and then later did countercrypto) multifactor crypto stuff though, so my brain is kinda trained in patterns from chaos...

The key here was apparent inside of the first reading. I skimmed through, just naturally tossing the confusers, then got to the bottom, read part of the first paragraph before the clue sank in, slapped my forehead, then decoded.

That said, it's cleverly designed, and not where/how you'd expect it to be. You can start and stop reading anywhere in the puzzle... It's somewhat represented by a block-chain style.

Few such puzzles make me slap my forehead, so I'd say you've done a good job. But no, not overly difficult once you put your mind in the right frame of reference. Not a 4star for me. Probably would be for some. Honestly, I haven't done much in the way of puzzle caches, so I don't know what's out there. But that isn't stopping me from designing my first right now... :anitongue: