Mapsource Question?

I have city select 6 and was wondering if it's possible to run it on the laptop hooked to the gpsr and do alive tracking.

I was able to do this with the Maggie and mapsend but don't see that ability in mapsource unless I'm just looking in the wrong place.

MapSource used to have that capability, but then Garmin developed the nRoute program that does a much better job of being a real-time tracker and navigator so that function was removed from MapSource. nRoute works with your CitySelect and/or other Garmin maps on your laptop and is a free download from Garmin's website.

I have Mapsource TOPO, Does Nroute work with that also? I can't find the info I need on the gramin website. I currently do what peter was wondering. I have my Etrex hooked to my laptop and it gives me a real time update as to were I am. I don't know what all the differencees are on the different mapping software.

Thanks

Clayton

I have Mapsource TOPO, Does Nroute work with that also? I can't find the info I need on the gramin website. I currently do what peter was wondering. I have my Etrex hooked to my laptop and it gives me a real time update as to were I am. I don't know what all the differencees are on the different mapping software.

Thanks

Clayton

AFAIK nRoute does work with TOPO, but you will not be able to do routing. You can download nRoute from the Garmin site and play with it to see if it will work for you.

I'm sure that Topo maps will not allow nRoute to provide autorouting. You need maps with routing data in order for nRoute to do autorouting. City Select would be the lowest-priced available option in that respect. I THINK MetroGuide version 4 MIGHT work as that product supports autorouting on the GPSr.

Edit: More concise information regarding map products.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I'm sure that Topo maps will not allow nRoute to provide autorouting. You need maps with routing data in order for nRoute to do autorouting. City Select would be the lowest-priced available option in that respect. I THINK MetroGuide version 4 MIGHT work as that product supports autorouting on the GPSr.

Edit: More concise information regarding map products.

Metroguide 4 only provides Autorouting on the PC...but not on the GPSr