Email For Owner Maintenance

5winters

I just preformed owner maintenence for one of my caches and got an email notification. Why send the cache owner the email notification that they just preformed maintenance? I know what I typed and if I need a record its on the cache page right. I dont know if by eliminating that email it would reduce any load on your servers. I guess it could apply to the other owner function logs for each cache too.

I just preformed owner maintenence for one of my caches and got an email notification. Why send the cache owner the email notification that they just preformed maintenance? I know what I typed and if I need a record its on the cache page right. I dont know if by eliminating that email it would reduce any load on your servers. I guess it could apply to the other owner function logs for each cache too.

Yeah, i've kinda wondered abou tthis off-and-on too. This would also apply to TB's and pretty much everything else. Seems it would be a rather simple thing to not send an email to the owner when the activity on the cache/bug/whatever was by the owner.

You get an email for every log entry on your cache listing regardless of whether you posted it or someone else. If I removed the notification I would be sure to get emails from many people thinking that the site is broken.

Sending these emails doesn't impact the web or mail server in any negligible way so it really wouldn't help to remove them. Many people like having a record of all their logs via email.

I have my mail client rules set to just mark any geocaching mail from me as Read, and moved to the appropriate folder.

Besides, sending the email acts as a check that your geocaching email is not getting blocked by filters. If you log to your own cache, and don't get a notice, you know something's wrong.

I have my mail client rules set to just mark any geocaching mail from me as Read, and moved to the appropriate folder.

How do you do that when all the email is from the same email address "noreply@geocaching.com"? Im (using outlook)

I don't use Outlook, but can you define a rule based on the subject line (or part of it)? In OSX Mail, I have a rule for messages in which the message subject contains the string, "[LOG] Owner: DavidMac".

edited to add: it works for both TB and cache emails.

Edited by DavidMac

You get an email for every log entry on your cache listing regardless of whether you posted it or someone else. If I removed the notification I would be sure to get emails from many people thinking that the site is broken.

Sending these emails doesn't impact the web or mail server in any negligible way so it really wouldn't help to remove them. Many people like having a record of all their logs via email.

Well it was worth asking.... thanks for the responses

Under Tools is "Rules and Alerts" - you can set a rule in outlook to route email based on the subject line. This is why we are pretty strict in our email text formats.

One tip: always choose "stop processing more rules" on the tab that you set to move the email to another folder. If you don't do this and the other rules run you will end up with multiple copies of the same email.

I don't use Outlook, but can you define a rule based on the subject line (or part of it)? In OSX Mail, I have a rule for messages in which the message subject contains the string, "[LOG] Owner: DavidMac".

edited to add: it works for both TB and cache emails.

Ok I think I have it set up correctly now. Thanks!