Stepping On Letterbox Toes?

markp99

I've had a cache location in mind for quite some time. It's a favorite spot of ours since my son was very small.

I was doing a little historical research of the spot and quite accidentally discovered there is a Letterbox in close proximity of where I'd like to leave a cache. I have determined the Letterbox is in the opposite direction of the primary access path from the location I have in mind. I'd estimate there is 100-200 ft (and a couple small water obstacles) in between. I notice there are only three other letterbox sites in our town (w/a couple dozen geocaches).

Should I reconsider using this location for a cache? it really is a favorite spot of ours and there is no GEOCACHE in this area? I would have never known about this Letterbox if I had not applied a bit of due dilligence.

For my information, do the letterboxing and geocaching communities step on each others toes? Any animosity or is it more a friendly cooperation?

Thanks for your advice.

markp99

Edited by markp99

i would contact the letter box owner and see if you could work together to make it a hybrid, if he says no or you don't want to, then place yours 100-200ft away and be happy. i've found letter boxes by accident while looking for a cache. i sign the log and continue my search. a great spot is a great spot.. happy caching, and i hope you live near me.

Tim

If you place the cache near the letterbox, please stress on your cache page that there is a LB nearby and to NOT take the stamp as a trade item! That is really the main issue LBers have with nearby caches...some cacher will find the LB, not really look close and think it's the cache, and take the *hand carved* rubber stamp as a trade item and leave a McToy.

I do both and think that a courtesy email to the LB placer would be greatly appreciated if only to give them a heads-up that a cache is going nearby so they can put that on *their* clue page as well. Also, if the box is a mystery or a bonus box, they will not wish the LB to be referenced by name, nor will they want it to be a hybrid as, by it's nature, it's a mystery as to where it's located.

Communication here, as in everything, is the key. ;)

I don't see a problem. I have a cache hidden about 50 feet from a letterbox and another about 100 feet away and another about 200 feet away.

Letterboxers and geocachers tend to look for the same kind of places, so caches and letterboxes often turn up close to each other.

If you know a letterbox is nearby, just make sure to mention that on your cache page so searchers are not mistaken.

I don't see a problem. I have a cache hidden about 50 feet from a letterbox and another about 100 feet away and another about 200 feet away.

Letterboxers and geocachers tend to look for the same kind of places, so caches and letterboxes often turn up close to each other.

If you know a letterbox is nearby, just make sure to mention that on your cache page so searchers are not mistaken.

I agree. I happen to do both (tho due to more GCs then LBs in my area, have been focusing more on GCing).

There are several LBs that are very close to GC. Some placers know this, and don't care, as no one is really 'bumping heads'.

Some people do both. Some LBs seem to take a 'snooty' attitude toward GCing/GCers. A recent post on the LB-US yahoo group from a LBer who saw a group GCing and 'sweeping the area' looking for the cache, are hopefully rare.

That works.

To the OP, The key is that people should not find the letter box while looking for your cache, and if they do they should know it's a letterbox and not the cache. The separation you mention should be fine.

At one of my caches that I had in place for several months, a letterboxer placed his container right on top of mine. My first reaction was, "hey, what the....", then I realized I didn't "own" that spot and that letterboxing was cool too. So, I just modified my cache description to advise geocachers that there was also a letterbox there and to be sure and sign the proper log. That seemed to work OK. I like to move my caches every 6-12 months to give local cachers new stuff to hunt and to minimize environmental impact, so that cache has since been archived and another one placed a hundred yards away. Last time I checked, the letterbox was still thriving in its original spot.

Hmmm, I was going to place a new cache today, maybe I'll make this one a letterbox hybrid and place it next week. Haven't done one of those yet, and it'll get me a new icon! [:unsure:]