Hiding A Cache Out Of My Area

JBiff

Frogwash's post below about hiding a cache while on vacation brought to mind a situation I am considering this summer. The responses to his post talked about arranging with a local geocacher to look after the cache or possibly even having them actually hide it for you.

Here's what I'm considering: My family lives in Empire, MI so most of my vacations are spent visiting them and have been for a long time. I am quite familiar with the area even though I have never lived there. I was planning to introduce my father to geocaching this summer and also to hide (what may be my first) in a park in their town. Whether or not my Dad gets into geocaching I am pretty confident he would be willing to check on it regularly and perform whatever maintenance was necessary. Here's my question: Do you think this is a cache that would have trouble getting approved if my Dad does not become a regular geocacher?

Thanks.

Edited by JBiff

I don't recall there being a rule wrt having to be a 'regular' geocacher in order to hide a cache. If it were me, I'd have my Dad signup and hide the cache under his registration, then he could maintain it. As a bonus, you would not have to seek approval from anyone other than the local reviewer. ;):blink::mad: Just do it.

Edited by Team Cotati

I had a cache approved in a similar situation. At first it was not approved, because I had neglected to explain it properly to the reviewer (and had forgotten to change my zip code after I moved 700 miles south!). My parents live about 100 miles from me and I visit them at least once a month. I explained this to the reviewer, pointed out that I had found some caches nearby, and assured him that if I was unable to get to the cache within a reasonable amount of time when alerted to a problem, my dad or brother knew where it was and could check on it. He was happy to approve the cache after I clarified the situation. YMMV, especially since Hershey (PA, I assume) is a lot more than 100 miles away from MI.

I had a cache approved in a similar situation. At first it was not approved, because I had neglected to explain it properly to the reviewer (and had forgotten to change my zip code after I moved 700 miles south!). My parents live about 100 miles from me and I visit them at least once a month. I explained this to the reviewer, pointed out that I had found some caches nearby, and assured him that if I was unable to get to the cache within a reasonable amount of time when alerted to a problem, my dad or brother knew where it was and could check on it. He was happy to approve the cache after I clarified the situation. YMMV, especially since Hershey (PA, I assume) is a lot more than 100 miles away from MI.

Your other option is to find a local cacher who would be willing to perform the maintenance for you and make arrangements in advance to insure it's care an feeding are covered.

...Do you think this is a cache that would have trouble getting approved if my Dad does not become a regular geocacher?

No. The person taking care of the cache does not need to be a geocacher. Just up for doing the job.

Also as beegirl13 points out. If you are in the area often enough you can take care of the cache directly and it's a non issue.

Edited by Renegade Knight