New To Gps's....

Hey evreyone....

New to GPS's and this forum so how's about I start with a big HI to everyone.... :(

I am going to be picking up a new GPS in the next couple of weeks to aid me in my snowmobile adventures as well as to plot out some fishing holes during the summer... I have narrowed it down to two Garmin units.. The GPSMAP 60 Cx and the Etrex Legend Cx.. There is a couple of things I am concerned about with the Legend Cx though.. Number one, reception.... If I am on a snowmobile trail through heavy bush will I still get proper reception with the Legend? Number two, GSAK.. I am reading about the problem with GSAK and the USB connection.. Now to tell you the truth, I don't now much about what this means YET, but will it affect my abillity to plot trails and transfer maps between the Legend and Mapsource?

Any help on these matters would be great as well as your overall opinion on these two units....

Thanx in advance......Jon

There should be no doubt the 60cx will be superior over the Etrex in picking up signals. The Legend is no slouch but heavy foliage will affect most GPS'.

I use GSAK but not to download coords into my GPS. I use it manage my pocket queries and create .gpx files for my pda. I use MapSource for eveything else. You will also notice down the line, GSAK is not effective in downloading notes (i.e. hints) into your waypoint notes' fields; MapSource and EasyGPS are much more effective. The GSAK-USB problems should not effect map/waypoint transfer between any other software. The occasional problem is GSAK or any other software hogging up the port. Just go to your manual settings for the software you are using to grab the port back. I play this game between my PDA software and the serial port, but, since I don't use GSAK to download coords, I can't say anything about it.

Now, have you figured how you're going to attach your GPS to your snowmobile?

Welcome aboard BigJonny.

I've logged over 700km of trail with the 60cx under my snowmoble jacket, haven't lost reception yet. The other day I had it wrapped up in a jacket in the storage box on my quad and logged about 80km of trail without losing reception. So far it has been great no problems at all.

There should be no doubt the 60cx will be superior over the Etrex in picking up signals. The Legend is no slouch but heavy foliage will affect most GPS'.

I use GSAK but not to download coords into my GPS. I use it manage my pocket queries and create .gpx files for my pda. I use MapSource for eveything else. You will also notice down the line, GSAK is not effective in downloading notes (i.e. hints) into your waypoint notes' fields; MapSource and EasyGPS are much more effective. The GSAK-USB problems should not effect map/waypoint transfer between any other software. The occasional problem is GSAK or any other software hogging up the port. Just go to your manual settings for the software you are using to grab the port back. I play this game between my PDA software and the serial port, but, since I don't use GSAK to download coords, I can't say anything about it.

Now, have you figured how you're going to attach your GPS to your snowmobile?

I am probablly going to use the Ram handlebar holder to mount it to the snowmobile... Man I have alot to learn yet with all the acronyms(spelling?) :( .. I sorta get what you are saying, but without the software in front of me it is hard to figure out... I guess what I need to do is pick out the GPS and software and start playing..... :(

I believe it's a good idea to have a very cheap GPS, as a backup, with the coords of your car, so you can get back if your regular GPS fails, and also if and when you get a paper map, try to get one has Lat Lon gridlines on the edges

Edited by GOT GPS?

i use a vista c, and never have a problem with reception. the gps stays in my coat pocket and works at all temps i've encountered thus far. it even continued to work when i pitched myself over the handlebars and landed on top of the windshield, severely bruising my ribs and cracking the bejeebus out of the gps screen. i still love it and use it the way it is. i think garmin looks rugged with his little badge of honor. ;)

p.s. i've been waypointing major intersections and points of interest (food, gas, lodging, beer, etc) to submit to the trail association for future maps. with all the people using gps these days, it may help newcomers to our trails.

Edited by denali7

This is probably common knowledge, but never rely solely on your GPS for navigation. If you're going off in the middle of nowhere, be sure to have a map and compass as well (and know how to use them).

I always carry a map with me, and a good compass will be added to the pocket....

Thanx.... ;)

Bigjonny

See that deep depression in the snow behind you?? Follow it Home?? :mad:

wingryder

Wow, who would of thunk..... ;) One of the lakes I ride on has miles of ice roads on it, with tonnes of unmarked intersections... Before you know it your in the middle of nowhere with no deep depressions to take you home..... :blink: