Couple Of Questions About Mapsend Direct Route

From reading it seems that this software will only work with one GPSr. We have two compatible GPSr's, would we need two copies of the software to load maps to both GPSr's?

It says on the Magellan web site that you must have the CD in the computer whenever the program is running. Is this correct? I would use it on a laptop in the truck and would not want a program that required me to do this. I like to install programs and then keep the original CD's safe at home.

The website also says you are unable to make a backup copy of the CD?

Thanks!

From reading it seems that this software will only work with one GPSr. We have two compatible GPSr's, would we need two copies of the software to load maps to both GPSr's?

I remember reading that you can register up to three GPSr's for each copy of the software. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall it.

It says on the Magellan web site that you must have the CD in the computer whenever the program is running. Is this correct? YES and it stinks I would use it on a laptop in the truck and would not want a program that required me to do this. I like to install programs and then keep the original CD's safe at home. You can however, create regions for everything that is relevant to you and load them on the GPSr's memory card so you don't need to bring the computer unless you want the larger screen size

The website also says you are unable to make a backup copy of the CD? haven't tried

Thanks!

So it seems I am correct in all my understandings in my first post. And, I agree - IT STINKS! We have two GPSr's that can hold maps and don't feel we should have to buy two $100.00 copies of software, although if that is necessary, we could do it. What I am very much against is having to carry the original copies of programs CD's everywhere I go. Especially when a backup can not be made. And yes, the reason for this is to use the mapping on the PC when on road trips.

Is at some point we sell our current GPS'rs to upgrade, does the mapping software for Garmin have the same handicaps?

Edited by Cheminer Will

The older Mapsend Topo (v.3 or v.4.2) did not have any of these restrictions. It used to get a lot of complaints about the age of the data and inaccuracies in different parts of the country.

MapSend Topo3D has new, accurate data but is subject to the same protection schemes.

When you create a Region and save it you can load it to the GPSr card via a reader so no S# is required.

That is the way I load my maps. Maybe you should pull the SD card out of the one unit and flop it into the other to see if htat works.

z_statman, you are a flippin' genious!

When you create a Region and save it you can load it to the GPSr card via a reader so no S# is required.

Yes great idea. Might work even though I have a Meridian Gold with a card slot and a SporTrak Color without. It would probably work to use the STC directly and put maps on the card for the Meridian.

What bothers me the most is having to have the original disk with me in the truck in order to use the program. I keep all my original program cd's safely put away so they don't get damaged or lost. Seems like having this one kicking around on trips is a recipe for problems. (For me at least!) :ph34r:

What bothers me the most is having to have the original disk with me in the truck in order to use the program. I keep all my original program cd's safely put away so they don't get damaged or lost. Seems like having this one kicking around on trips is a recipe for problems. (For me at least!) :ph34r:

Vagabond already answered this above: This link will show you how to mod the software so that it is no longer necessary to have the CD in the drive.