Legend Cx Tracklog Saving To Card

hhhh5

I asked if tracklog saving to memorycard -feature would be added to legend CX.

Response from garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Support.

There are no plans to add this to the Legend CX. you can set up the track to

record distance or time to enable you to record a longer tracklog.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us again."

Maybe everybody should e-mail them to let them know this feature is needed.

That's bad news...

Maybe we should give it a try? If all (future) Legend Cx owners ask it in this tread we can send it to Garmin?

My argumentation to Garmin (as a bicycle-tourist) would be: "Your Etrex units are great and in my opinion best suited for world cyclists (size, weight and battery life). The option to save tracklogs to the memory card would be a great value for all world cyclists on the road."

Let's have it a go... :laughing:

eTrex Legend Cx software version 2.40 as of May 3, 2006

eTrex Vista Cx software version 2.40 as of May 3, 2006

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britian v2.

Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

Fix UTC offset for Las Vegas time zone.

Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

Well in there lads :shocked:

eTrex Legend Cx software version 2.40 as of May 3, 2006

eTrex Vista Cx software version 2.40 as of May 3, 2006

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

Improve path nighttime color for map Topo Great Britian v2.

Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

Enhance layout and functionality of tide station chart information.

Add new time zones for major cities in the U.S. and Europe.

Fix UTC offset for Las Vegas time zone.

Improve reset function of timer lap distance.

Well in there lads :)

I can not get it to work. I can download the 2.4 update, but when I use the updater program it tells me that it's going to load the version I already have in the gps 2.3 I click yes thinking it's just a error in the name or something, but it just removes 2.3 and load 2.3 back on. I don't see any changes.

Anyone else get it to work?

Edited by Milbank

Well I got 2.4 loaded to the gps.

After playing around with the gps I can't see how you save the tracks to the card.

Edited to add: Seems like after I post I find my own answers.

I found the check box to set it up to save the track info to the card.

All I can do with this file that is save to the card is delete it?

What good is it going to do me to save this info to the card?

Guess I could get a card reader and then maybe edit and view the info.

Does the saved track file on the card do me any good on the gps unit?

Edited by Milbank

Yes, the card track files can not be used on the GPS in any way. They are just for people who need accurate records of their tracks for later use such as mapping. They show up as GPX files on the card and you need a card reader to access them.

Selecting the "save to card" option only saves the active track log to the card, from that moment forward. If you select that option and turn the unit off (or don't have track logging on), nothing will be saved to the card. There is no way to get an existing track onto the card.

Writing the tracklog to the card is a separate function from tracking in the internal memory. You can do both at the same time, or turn both off, or you can do one or the other. Using one function will not affect the other in any way.

IF you want to see your tracks displayed on the GPSr, you'll need to turn on the standard internal tracking. You cannot turn off that tracking, turn on the data card tracking and expect to see your tracks on the GPSr.

The data card tracking is simply a way for you to obtain long term tracking which can be downloaded to the computer later. I used to take a laptop computer with me on long trips - simply to save all of my active log tracks. With this feature, I no longer have to carry that thing with me on trips - I just have to be sure to leave enough memory free to hold the .gpx file data for the number of days I'll be away. With a 1.0GB - that shouldn't be a problem. At this point in time, you DO need a card reader to access the tracks stored on the card. Perhaps they will add a feature to access the card as a drive on the computer in a future firmware update - maybe not. But paying $15.00 for a card reader vs. carrying around a laptop with me on vacations? I'll pay the $15.00!

The way I have my 60Cx setup is with both types of tracking enabled, and the internal memory's tracking has the "wrap when full" option enabled so that when the internal memory is full, it will just overwrite the older data so I can see my most recent tracks.

As for the "Save Tracks" function on your GPSr - that still works the same way it always has! You have 20 saved tracks (of up to 750 track points each) in your internal memory. There is no way to "Save" tracks to the data card. You MUST have the internal tracking enabled if you want to "Save Tracks".

With the write active log to data card option, you are simply writing track log information to the card as a added and separate function from all other tracking options. Don't read any other functions into this added ability (other than being able to read the data with a card reader).

Clear as mud?

Edited by Neo_Geo

"You have 20 saved tracks (of up to 750 track points each) in your internal memory."

I can't comment on the Legend series, but (alas) the 60 series tracks are a maximum of 500 points. I'd love to see Garmin bump that up.

Well, by golly, you're right... Don't know where I got the 750 figure from! Hmmmmm... I would've sworn it was 750 - but it seems it's only 500! Please accept my apologies for the misinformation...

At this point in time, you DO need a card reader to access the tracks stored on the card. Perhaps they will add a feature to access the card as a drive on the computer in a future firmware update - maybe not. But paying $15.00 for a card reader vs. carrying around a laptop with me on vacations? I'll pay the $15.00!

Added to the 60CSx 2.71beta firmware

How does the tracklog on the flash card look like. Is it lake the Active log with Time, Speed etc included?