Problem Loading Garmin Mapsource City Select Na On New Pc

Purchased City Select NA version 6 a year or more ago and loaded it on my PC, 866mhz, 384Meg RAM, Windows XP Pro. Just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop to replace this machine, 1.7mhz, 1Gig RAM, Windows XP Media Edition. I have loaded many programs to this new laptop no problem. When I put the City Select Disk 1of2 in the AutoPlay does not start the program. I click the Setup.exe file and get a message telling me to "Please start this data CD install from the Setup CD". I installed the Waypoint manager software that came with my GPSMAP 60C with no problem.

I do not know what to do. I made a copy of the original CD when I purchased them they give me the same message and also do not start with AutoPlay either.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Lakedawgs

Purchased City Select NA version 6 a year or more ago and loaded it on my PC, 866mhz, 384Meg RAM, Windows XP Pro. Just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop to replace this machine, 1.7mhz, 1Gig RAM, Windows XP Media Edition. I have loaded many programs to this new laptop no problem. When I put the City Select Disk 1of2 in the AutoPlay does not start the program. I click the Setup.exe file and get a message telling me to "Please start this data CD install from the Setup CD". I installed the Waypoint manager software that came with my GPSMAP 60C with no problem.

I do not know what to do. I made a copy of the original CD when I purchased them they give me the same message and also do not start with AutoPlay either.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Lakedawgs

I believe the Mapsource software comes with two installation discs PLUS a startup disc. The startup disc was in a cardboard jacket, the two application disc were in a jewel (plastic) CD case. Did you store the startup disc somewhere else... This topic has been addressed before and people have swore they didn't have a startup disc, and then recant after they find it.

Setup disck looks like this: (I had to use this to install City Select V7.0)

http://webpages.charter.net/markh12001/MyPhotos/CD.jpg

Edited by markhp

I just put a larger hard drive in my laptop and I got the same thing. I think there is another disk in that City Select package . . . maybe it was the Waypoint Manager CD.

Anyway, it was frustrating, and I tried several permutations, before finally finding that other disk and after that everything went fine. :unsure:

I just put a larger hard drive in my laptop and I got the same thing. I think there is another disk in that City Select package . . . maybe it was the Waypoint Manager CD.

Anyway, it was frustrating, and I tried several permutations, before finally finding that other disk and after that everything went fine. :unsure:

Send an email to Garmin Technical support, they are great. I replaced a hard drive and was installing CS NA V6 and it just stopped half way through. Then informed me how to use the Update V7 DVD WITHOUT using the V6 CD's.

You get V7 DVD by buying it! .... or paying Garmin for an upgrade since you already purchased V6. I just did the exact same install on my new Inspiron 6000 with Media Center XP. YES .... V6 has a start up CD that goes in before the 2 City Select CDs from the jewel case. It's in the documentation (card stock slot) that has your unlock code on the back of it. Getting a copy will not help you as this set-up disc is unique to your unlock code.

Caution .... XP Media Center Edition has huge hotsync issues with Palms. I developed a work around for my Palm TX to get it to hotsync .... but it is not pretty. Palm only supports XP home Edition and XP Pro. All Media Center is...... is XP Pro with and add-on .... but it is not supported!

I also added nRoute and it is so cool! :D ImpalaBob

You get V7 DVD by buying it! .... or paying Garmin for an upgrade since you already purchased V6.

If you purchased City Select V6 on or after V7's release date (June 1, 2005) then the V7 DVD is free. If you bought your GPSr prior to that date, then the V7 update is $50.00. (Okay, anal retention mode kicking in: the DVD itself is technically free, and it's really a question of whether or not you get a free unlock code or have to pay for an unlock code. From your wallet's perspective, it works out to be the same thing. :D)

Links for ordering various updates (including CS V7) are on the Garmin Map Updates page.