Need Advice On Gps Units.

jopasm

I'm considering purchasing a GPS. I'd like to start geocaching but I also have some very specific, non-geocaching related needs.

Basically, I need:

A unit with good reception in moderate tree cover (I've looked at the eTrex Legend but it seems to

get a weaker signal than some other units)

Ability to connect to a computer

Made by Garmin - I have an application that only supports Garmin GPSs

External antenna port (somewhat optional, but it'd be nice)

ability to load maps - specifically topo maps

serial port - if it has USB and Serial that's OK, but I have a Mac I'd like to use the unit with and, as far as I can tell, USB support is PC only on pretty much every GPS made whereas serial is pretty universal.

More memory than 8 megs and color would be nice but my main limiting factor is cost: I really can't spend more than $250 on this right now.

With all that in mind, any suggestions? I've looked at the GPS Map 76, and it seems nice if a bit bulky. I like the size of the eTrex, although, well, I'm left handed so it would be nice if I could use the GPS in my right hand.

You might give a look at the Garmin GPS V they have been seen selling for about $250.00, they are not color but in you price range you are going to be very limited and you may not find a color GPS in your price range. THe Garmin units with SIRF III will hole a better lock un tree cover than any of the E-trex versions but are beyond your price range, BTW the Vista CX and Legend CX so not include SIRF III chipsets

You might give a look at the Garmin GPS V they have been seen selling for about $250.00, they are not color but in you price range you are going to be very limited and you may not find a color GPS in your price range. THe Garmin units with SIRF III will hole a better lock un tree cover than any of the E-trex versions but are beyond your price range, BTW the Vista CX and Legend CX so not include SIRF III chipsets

I'll check out the GPS V - anybody know offhand what are some less expensive models that use the SIRF III chipset? I may be able to spend a little more. Function under tree cover is *very* important and, well, if I have to spend a little more for better results in those conditions, so be it.

And you should be able to get City Select with it (At that price).

In the Garmin line, the 60Cx is the least expensive unit with the SiRF III chipset. It is probably also the least expensive color unit that fits your other requirements. Legend C has better reception than the Legend, and 24MB of memory, but it is USB only and has no external antenna jack.

Edited by Sputnik 57

For color you could try and find the gpsmap 60c. It has an external jack for an antenna which should help with reception. Also it has an usb and serial connection. I looked around and you can get a new one for around 300. The 60cx will run you about 370-380. You could also look at the non color gpsmap 60. It has all the same features as the 60c except for color and a little less memory. I am not sure about how good it handles signals. Sorry. But I think with an external antenna that would help. Just me two cents.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to look into my options.

As a side question - has anybody used something other than Garmin GPS's with ArcView? The DNR Garmin extension looks nice so I've been leaning towards Garmin GPS's. If there is a comparable utility for other GPS manufacturers it would certainly give me more options though.

Thanks for the advice everybody! I decided I might as well bite the bullet and spend the extra $100 on a GPS that does exactly what I want. I've ordered a GPSMap 60cx. Hopefully it will show up by Friday so I can use it for a project I'm working on now. Weekend after next, if all goes well, I'll be able to go on my first geocaching expedition. I'm looking forward to it.