Let's Go Geocaching Event

“Let’s Go Geocaching” Day Tickets including lunch and all Geocaching activities – £29 pp per day.

Save! £5 with the Geocachers Deal-£25pp per day

£29 pppd ... with the Geocachers deal save a fiver ... ?? methinks not! £29-£5=£24 ... they're either bad at math or is someone on the make somewhere :):):)

and not the idea of making money out of caching.

... too late, I'm sure thats on the spread as well ... geocoins, micro containers, cache "kits" on Ebay and now pay to attend events :) where is the spirit of Geocaching going??

Edited by choccymandm

Just tried looking to see what your all talking about but keep getting

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached."

Typical :) I'll look later!

Edited by steviep

This is a commercial training weekend. The organising company have paid a fee to get it publicised and the "event" is one way of publicising it.

Normal events will continue to be free or will only charge a nominal amount to cover costs.

It is by forming partnerships such as this that Groundspeak, a commercial organisation themselves, can continue to grow. You will see in the guidelines that such things are permitted at Groundspeak's discretion. I would suggest that it is no more "double standards" than the Jeep promotions were.

Geocaching is and will continue to be "free" (once you have a GPSr), but associated activites can be paid for if you wish. Certainly nobody is suggesting that you will have to pay £200 every time you go out on a cache hunt. This is an "extra" that you can pay for if you want to or you can choose not to if you don't want to go. I see it in a similar light to Groundspeak selling Travel Bugs, Geocoins, Cache stickers etc. They are there if you want to pay for them but you are not forced to.

This sort of thing will ALWAYS remain the exception while the vast majority of events will remain exactly as you have become used to.

If I thought for one moment this would lead us down a "slippery slope" do you honestly believe I would have been actively supporting it? No, I think that occasional ventures such as this are a useful adjunct to geocaching in the UK and serve a purpose in the same way that you can pay to go on a guided walk.

Not sure i want it to grow any more! The best bit about caching is getting out and meeting fellow cachers, and from experiance, everyone is always willing to help and guide in the use of gps and caching itself. I am glad that it will not become the norm, otherwise the sport would fragment.

Compared with there usual price I think it's a bargain and would class this event as a service for us to use if we wish! I will not be going in May but might seriously consider it in September if the out come from this event proves worth while! thanks Lacto sir, looks like a good idea to me IMO!

Edited by steviep
QUOTE(The Golem @ Mar 27 2006, 06:14 PM)

The bit that caught my eye was:

"Over 20 Geotrails and 50 real caches to locate in fabulous walking country"

I wonder if these are existing caches or have they been created just for the event? I'd hate to think that any of my caches were used to make money...

Rest assured that these will be put out specially for the weekend by the company concerned. They will not be listed on Geocaching.com (indeed some of them are "gulp!" Virtual caches )

QUOTE(Jaz666 @ Mar 27 2006, 07:12 PM)

Not wishing to fan the flames any further, but.......

Would you really want to spend money attending an event where none of the caches are officially listed on GC.com, and therefore won't show up in your profile?

Actually some will be listed so will appear in your stats. Mind you, we're not "numbers people" so the question is academic !!!!

I am really unclear about these 'special' caches.

Some will and some won't?

Will they be generally available on GC.com, and if so at what stage after the event?