Garmin Product Comparison Help

mikeg99

I am looking at some Garmin products and need some help since the site is not too clear to me. I was looking at the Legend Cx and then saw that they are releasing the Venture Cx. They both looked very similar. The Venture Cx is not out yet so I could not download the manual to see what the differences are. Does anyone have any information they can share?

Also, I saw that the Legend Cx takes an SD card but is limited to 256mb in size. Is this common for the magellan units in the explorist series?

Thanks!

Reading the Venture Cx product description and the press release didn't give any indication that it would have the ability to download maps via MapSource on a PC rather than just using pre-loaded (and expensive) microSD cards. It's possible that this is just an oversight or because the unit doesn't ship with a blank card, but I wouldn't recommend the unit until that issue is resolved.

Garmin only sells microSD cards up to 256 MB currently, but it's not a limit of the Legend Cx which can take a larger card sold by others. Note that these are microSD cards, not the regular SD size of the eXplorists.

huh. interesting product - not much of a difference between it and the legend (i like blue better?)

from the venture cx webpage:

eTrex Venture Cx 500 waypoints, 176 x 220 pixel display, 32-hour battery life, automatic routing capabilities, color, card slot

eTrex Legend Cx 500 waypoints, 176 x 220 pixel display, 32-hour battery life, automatic routing capabilities, color, card slot, 32 MB microSD card

eTrex Vista Cx 500 waypoints, 176 x 220 pixel display, 32-hour battery life, automatic routing capabilities, color, card slot, 32 MB microSD card, compass, altimeter

From their Web page:

"The unit ships standard with a wrist strap, owner’s manual and quick start guide."

Looks like you gotta buy your own MicroSD card and your own PC cable. If you're gonna buy a 512MB card anyway and already have a standard mini-D USB cable, why buy a LegendCx?

But then, how many Venture buyers will feel cheated that they have to buy a cable separately because they didn't know...?

And how many of them are gonna come here asking questions about why they can't load maps to unit...?

"How do I send waypoints to my VentureCx?"

"Download and install EasyGPS, download your geocaching.loc file, open with EasyGPS, connect your Venture to the PC data cable..."

"What cable?"

"I keep getting errors when I try to send maps to my new VentureCx. What's wrong?"

"What size card did you buy?"

"Card? Buy?"

:D

Edited by Neo_Geo