Using Track Logs?

dhbaird

How are others using track logs?

Is there a quick and easy way to convert them into routes?

I have some logs of my hikes that I have saved. Don't know if they would be interesting to anyone else or not. Is there a central repository for uploading tracks so others can use them? Is there a protocol as to what information you should include with a track to make it useful for others?

Just wondering... I have tracking turned on autmatically and it seems to be a waste of memory most of the time.

Edited by dhbaird

I have some logs of my hikes that I have saved. Don't know if they would be interesting to anyone else or not. Is there a central repository for uploading tracks so others can use them?

Yes, there are quite a few such repositories (which makes them less "central" than would be desireable). One example is at:

http://trailregistry.com/trailregistry/index.jsp

I usually record my tracklogs on my PC using GarTrip or similar programs. I have found the bike ride tracks handy when I want to repeat a ride. I just load the tracklog into my GPS and then use its "TrackBack" feature to guide me on the same course. I've also used the recorded tracklogs to answer questions from others such as the heights of certain passes, total elevation gain on some routes, how long it should take to ride to a particular spot, etc. And with the increasing popularity of GoogleEarth I've shown some of the bike ride tracklogs in that form where you can play back a ride as if you were in a helicopter about a thousand feet up but following right along behind the bicyclist.

I had used www.trailregistry.com , and it seems to be corrupting track data.

I have uploaded Track data to them, as Geoffr524, and the system twice, deleted my tracks, and another one still shows, but got trashed.

I have tried the one at National Geographic, but that one does not seem very good yet for michigan.

Would be neat to have a central database of trails, and also it would be cool to have a Trail Loader, to load trails onto my Map60Cx, as map elements.

I have a track that I uploaded from my Garmin GPS. A small segment was an accidental turn which I went back and then continued. I edited the points to delete the turn segemnt, and then loaded it back to the GPS. It showed the complete track, with the accidental turn. Is there a way to permantly delete that segment? It also shows in the track back feature.

I have a track that I uploaded from my Garmin GPS. A small segment was an accidental turn which I went back and then continued. I edited the points to delete the turn segemnt, and then loaded it back to the GPS. It showed the complete track, with the accidental turn. Is there a way to permantly delete that segment?

Yes, if you really delete the unwanted points then they don't magically reappear. Did the track look the way you wanted on the PC before you loaded it back? Are you sure you deleted the track from your GPS before loading the edited version back in? Otherwise you may have both the original and edited versions there.

Got GPS:

There are still 5 trail logs from Geoffr524 on the trailregistry site that look ok but don't seem to include altitude data (some of mine don't either depending on how they were recorded).

In what way are they corrupted?