Someone Is Visiting Northern Nj For A Weekend...

briansnat

If a geocacher from Texas, Oregon, Arizona, Indiana or wherever else writes you to recommend a good cache hunt in northern NJ, which ones would you advise them to tackle that would show off the best of northern NJ and dispell most outsider's image of our state. It could be a single cache, or an area where there are several good ones.

My choice would be anything along Bearfort Ridge, including Terrace Pond North and NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache.

Right behind that would be any of the caches in Norvin Green SF.

What say you?

Edited by briansnat

I would recommend the Sparta Edison area. Aim for treequest's Dark Rock cache and you'll find yourself in the middle of the equivalent of a geocache park. There are more than 20 caches in the area including very interesting hides by treequest, Tick Magnets, Skully & Mulder and Woodlit. It is a very unique area as well with the old Thomas Edison factory foundations, a number of mines and varied terrain. This area was where I first got into geocaching and is still my favorite.

For a more rugged adventure, I would recommend the Hamburg Mountain WMA area. Aim for briansnat's The Roar for a parking area. Then head into the woods to find others by briansnat and Mxyzptlk. This area is not visited often, is very interesting terrain, some terrific views and a great hike.

Both are WMA areas so be aware of hunting schedules and wear orange when appropriate.

It would be somewhat dependent on where they were staying and the time they had available and also on their particular preferences and inclination.

But I would categorize it as I agree with the Terrace Pond area

Norvin Green is a pleasant area, however have them stick with the Otter Hole, Chik Falls Carris Hill, Stone Living Room I especially like the Wyanokie High Point view, which was as good as promised.

I would not have them go into the Burnt Meadow Road Area, I think it better left to the locals. Because it is a frightful mess.

The Added Value/and other Caches in High Mountain is a good series.

Ramapo State Park and Ramapo County Preserve are both good areas.

For casual walking--Mills Reservation near Montclair State

For similar Casual walking--The Sanitarium Area of Cedar Grove has a number of pleasant walks/caches

The Saddle River County Park running from Ridgewood to Saddle Brook contains a number of caches including the infamous Scrat's

For a sight seeing extravaganza have them do Harry Dolphin/Andy Bear's New York Skyline series, no one ever tires of that view. Even if they never find them.

Tough question. I would have to go with the Sparta area (between the Edison area, Sparta Glen and the town itself) there are a LOT of caches...LOTS of DIFFERENT types of caches, by many different cachers: BrianSnat, Treequest, CacheHunters42, Tiffany's Slaves, Skully & Mulder et al, and others.....

Certainly, I can't leave out Kevin's caches (Team Rampant Lion), but the visitor would have to have a great appreciation of bears and snakes!

Someone else pointed out an important consideration though - a lot depends on where they are staying.

Welcome to our visitor(s); You should find great/interesting caches and friendly geocachers here in the Garden State.

Having just done it, I'd recommend Devil's Hole....and the accompanying caches you can do on the hilltop, Cedar Grove park, & Mills reservation....also some history to go with those locations.

Just did some in Rifle Camp park...GREAT views from the notch there....

M

Having just done it, I'd recommend Devil's Hole....and the accompanying caches you can do on the hilltop, Cedar Grove park, & Mills reservation....also some history to go with those locations.

Just did some in Rifle Camp park...GREAT views from the notch there....

M

If you like those, just wait until you spread out a bit and hit the TRL and Treequest caches in the western Morris/Sparta area as well as the caches in Norvin Green SF and along the Bearfort Ridge. I think you will be quite impressed.