Night Caches

kcgreyhound

I think it would be nice to have a special Night Cache icon to designate them as different that regular caches. I think this would promote more night caching, and would replace the loss of reverse caches and other types that may be on the way out. What do you all think?

I read the question as how it shows up in your stats after you found it.

Like Milti's or Mysteries have a different ICON than Traditionals.

Certainly there are many Cachers that would do at least ONE to get the icon.

Might encourage group participation for cachers reluctant to go out at night.

Really not a bad idea, but I don't see it as something that would promote significant growth.

I think it would be nice to have a special Night Cache icon to designate them as different that regular caches. I think this would promote more night caching, and would replace the loss of reverse caches and other types that may be on the way out. What do you all think?

So, I'm guessing you would actually need 3 new icons.

• night only traditional
  • night only multicache
  • night only puzzle/unknown

Of course, night only really isnt a different type of cache at all. It's just a normal traditional, multi, or puzzle cache with a certain special attribute about it (night caching).

night only really isnt a different type

Actually, unless the final container has the only reflector (rather defeating the purpose), aren't all night caches pretty much an "unknown multi" variant?

They aren't traditional ("...coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache").

They aren't really multis as defined in the guidelines (I won't quote the whole thing) as coords/waypoints aren't provided at various discrete stages typically.

Hence I often use the "Unknown" type (referred to as Mystery in guidelines) since that's the "catch-all". But unknown's have been devolving into just puzzle-caches.

Also, neither "not available 24/7" nor "recommended at night" exclusively indicate "night cache". Folks have used them for other circumstances.

I'm not a fan of too restrictive features, but this need keeps arising such that members are now trying to manually list night caches via bookmark lists in our neck of the woods, a poor solution at best!

I don't recall the arguments against this concept in the past, but agree it's worth taking a second look now that things have been "cleaned up".

Enjoy,

Randy

:huh: I just got back from a night cache in my area. GCQ3PG "Night Crawler" multicache by S.A.M. & LegendPilot. It was awsome. If your ever in Md. at night this is a must do. Its a 3 stage multi but you only get coordinates to the beginning and the end and you can only do this one at night so what would you call that?

Nighttime Multi Puzzle Cache? :rolleyes:

:( I just got back from a night cache in my area. GCQ3PG "Night Crawler" multicache by S.A.M. & LegendPilot. It was awsome. If your ever in Md. at night this is a must do. Its a 3 stage multi but you only get coordinates to the beginning and the end and you can only do this one at night so what would you call that?

Nighttime Multi Puzzle Cache? :(

I would also cast a vote for a "night cache" catagory. I do travel a lot and I would like to do night only caches. It is hard to find them if you do not know the area.

Edited by hrtpmpfxr
Isn't the night caching attribute enough? it's searchable on pocket queries already
While I don't think a night cache should be its own type, clearly the night caching attribute is not the answer. Do a search for "recommended at night" in your area. You'll get dozens or scores of caches, almost none of them are a "night cache," as defined by the OP. People seem to use this attribute to indicate that the cache can be done in the darkness, not that it must be done at night.

In my area, there is a single "night" cache (i.e. which needs a flashlight to navigate through the woods) yet if I do a pocket query for "recommended at night," I get a lot more than one cache.

As discussed in another thread a short time back, night caches should have a "flashlight/torch required" attribute.

Jamie