I Found A Cache In St. John USVI

My guess is that it was the School's Out geocache... an active, maintained cache... along with the nearby letterbox. The photo on that cache's page suggests it's the ruins of a school. Since there aren't even 40 caches in the USVI's, if it ain't that one, it should be easy to sniff out.

The Virgin Islands National Park Service map shows two regions in the vicinity of School's Out - Maho Bay and ...drumroll please... Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins. The Annaberg page says the site includes the ruins of one of the Caribbean's oldest public school houses. By Jove, I think Keystone's got it!

:unsure: Hmmmm...cache...National Park Service land....? :unsure:

I guess you've figured out which cache it is - do all geocachers use this website? Is there a way to email the owners?

I have to say - my kids were pretty interested in this hobby - is it appropriate for kids? As a city planner I have access to GIS - could this be used to find caches?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Katrina. To answer your questions, no, not all geocachers use this site - just most of them. Like Keystone said above, the cache you found is probably the one he cited.

Might I suggest you step over to www.geocaching.com and click on the "Getting Started" link on the left? Then come back to the forums and read up a little in the Getting Started forum. Once you figure out what's going on, you can automatically generate an email to the owner by visiting the cache's page and logging your first find.

Oh yeah, geocaching is definately appropriate for kids. The guidelines for this particular site mandate family friendliness. Take a look at your area, there are probably dozens if not hundreds of caches somewhere around you that you could take your kids to.

Welcome aboard.

Katrina (no offense, but your name's a dirty word around here! - south Louisiana :D ) -

Seriously, your kids will love geocaching! It's a great family hobby, gets everybody out of doors and away from video games and the TV, encourages both physical & mental exercise, and you can do it even while you're on vacation. My daughter's 15 and we cache together whenever we can find the time. How many parents of teenagers can say they actually share a hobby with their kids?

Read up on the guidelines, set up a user account on www.geocaching.com, and get addicted like the rest of us! :huh:

Hi Katrina,

I have a 4 yr old that like to go "treasure hunting" with me. It's great for getting out & having some fun & enjoying the outdoors. I've been caching since January & love it. To have 88 caches within 10 miles of your house - wow! you're lucky!! Most of the caches I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to.

Have fun!!

Edited by bahama97

I guess you've figured out which cache it is - do all geocachers use this website? Is there a way to email the owners?

I have to say - my kids were pretty interested in this hobby - is it appropriate for kids? As a city planner I have access to GIS - could this be used to find caches?

Thanks for your help!

My kids (11, 3) love to go find the caches! I also do GIS and use it to map my routes for caching as well as create a database of the caches I've visited or will visit. It's addiciting, you won't regret it.

Another hidden benefit of geocaching: My daughter can now read a map. We recently cached about 260 miles from home, not knowing the area at all, and she was my navigator. She also, today, helped me navigate the streets of New Orleans.

My 2 sisters (ages 44 and 51) STILL can't read maps. ~sigh~