Garmin 60csx Electric Compass

My Vista C never needed calibrating between battery changes. My new 60CSx has had to be calibrated three times (after the initial calibration on battery change) on the first set of batteries. Has any one else observed compass calibration anomalies with this unit? Other than that I LOVE it so far.

I don't have your unit, but on the older etrex units, loose battery springs caused the same problem. when the unit was jarred, lose of connections made the unit think you replaced the battery. You might want to check them out and make them tighter if loose.

Edited by Alan2

My Vista C never needed calibrating between battery changes. My new 60CSx has had to be calibrated three times (after the initial calibration on battery change) on the first set of batteries. Has any one else observed compass calibration anomalies with this unit? Other than that I LOVE it so far.

I have the same problem with my 60csx. It seems like I have to calibrate it every time I start it. If I don't, the heading will be off by a good 10 or 20 degrees. In fact, I don't even bother with the compass now. I might as well have bought the 60Cx

I have the same problem with my 60csx. It seems like I have to calibrate it every time I start it. If I don't, the heading will be off by a good 10 or 20 degrees. In fact, I don't even bother with the compass now. I might as well have bought the 60Cx

hmmm

Your Vista compass should have been calibrated after every change, but, you shouldn't have to recal more than that.

What problems exactly have you been experiencing with your 60?

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sad but true, you have to calibrate the unit when you first use the GPSMAP 60CSx or after you install new batteries (it says that on pg. 50 of the owners manual). You might also want to do that periodically between battery changes - just to keep it true.

True it does say you have to re-calibrate after battery changes, but not in between. I spoke to a tech at Garmin and he indicated that it is not unusual to have to recalibrate between battery changes, especially if the unit is turned off and on a lot and moved around a lot (think geocaching). The last time mine went two days between recalibrations, which he indicated was "acceptable". I suppose "acceptable" is a relative term. If it continues to do that I can live with recalibrating every couple of days. TheMylrea's I suggest calling Garmin. The tech indicated that having to recalibrate in only a couple of hours would indicate a problem.

I believe that needing recalibration in between battery changes indicates a design flaw. In fact in a good design the calibration would be saved and restored to the compass on power up each time, with recalibration only needed when moving enough to change the declination.

I have the 60csx and have calibrated the compass when I changed the batteries and before going on a long hike (just to make sure). I'll watch the accuracy a little closer in the future to see if it actually degrades over time. But I must admit, turning around in a circle twice doesn't bother me at all. Spending seconds doing it seems like good insurance to me.

Sorry to post twice, but I had another thought!

I always check my regular compass before heading out on a hike too. I have chucked a few for being off. Not sure how they got that way, but I suspect small electronics stored in my pack (2-way). So, I guess I'm saying, even if the unit was designed for a once in a lifetime calibration I would probably still recalibrate before a significant outing.

Team Trail Walker, I agree 100% on not minding calibrating every day or so, as long as it doesn't get down to much less than that. In fact, hereafter I intend to calibrate before each days use. When mine displays the calibration problen it is not simply a little inaccurate, but all of a sudden is off by 30 to 100 degrees and seems to move almost randomly as you turn. As soon as you re-calibrate it is fine. Even if it never had this behavior I still take my magnetic compass along as a backup when going further into the woods than a few yards. Call me old fashioned but I just don't trust electronic gadgets not to fail at the MOST inoppourtine time.

Team Trail Walker, I agree 100% on not minding calibrating every day or so, as long as it doesn't get down to much less than that. In fact, hereafter I intend to calibrate before each days use. When mine displays the calibration problen it is not simply a little inaccurate, but all of a sudden is off by 30 to 100 degrees and seems to move almost randomly as you turn. As soon as you re-calibrate it is fine. Even if it never had this behavior I still take my magnetic compass along as a backup when going further into the woods than a few yards. Call me old fashioned but I just don't trust electronic gadgets not to fail at the MOST inoppourtine time.

Are you sure there isn't any other metallic device, watch, bracelet, equipment, etc nearby that could be effecting it?

Alan2, I wear no jewelry, watches etc. Once it loses calibration I have taken it into a clear envirionment away from metal (car, power lines etc) and it is still erratic. At least two others responding to this topic seem to be having problems also. I don't know if this something new in the x series, or if it is something that has been happening at some level all along. Mine is usable at this point and if it does not require calibrating more than once a day it is something I guess I will live with. I just wish it worked as well as my Vista C.

True it does say you have to re-calibrate after battery changes, but not in between.

I never said that the manual stated to re-calibrate in between battery changes. I just assumed that it would be a wise idea to check it periodically - obviously Garmin felt the same way, according to your post.

you have to calibrate the unit when you first use the GPSMAP 60CSx or after you install new batteries (it says that on pg. 50 of the owners manual). You might also want to do that periodically between battery changes - just to keep it true.

The way you describe your problem makes me think your compass has turned off. I have my unit set up so that the compass is off until I have stopped moving for 30sec. During that 30 sec the compass will be way off and not usable. I cant remember what the default settings were but you might want to check your settings.

On one occasion a inadvertently disabled the compass with a gloved finger pushing down on the PAGE key.

Next time this happens to you, check the top of the display for the compass Icon.

Team Trail Walker, mine is set for 2 min so it stays on GPS compass when we are in the car at a stop light. Usually by the time we stop near a cache, get our stuff and are ready to go it has switched to electric, if not I manually switch it. However the next time it occurs I will pay close attention to that. I had an instance on my Vista C where my daughter used it, changed my settings and the compass on/off alert was out of sync with the actual compass setting. So next time I will really look at compass selection very closely and be sure and manually switch it on and off. Actually your 30 sec is probably better since when you reach the preset speed leaving the light it will switch back to GPS any way.

Hmm, just browsing to see if my problem is listed and this seems to be the closest thread. After finding a cache and noting it as found in the compass screen the compass itself freezes and declines to turn with a change in route. The distance counts down as you get closer to the next cache but the bearing shown bears no relationship to where it should be. The only way to tempt it back is to recalibrate it. I therefore have to recalibrate after every cache, how about that for inconvenience? Could it be anything to do with the settings for the compass turning on or off? I have installed 2.60 with no change in effect.

Any thoughts gratefully received!