512 Mb Sd Card No Longer Recognized

I know Sandisk would replace it under similar circumstances. I had one hassle-free replacement.

Check the manufacturer website - I would expect a 90 day to one year warrantee.

If not, try returning it to who you bought it from as defective.

It should work more than two months!

Robert

Before you yank out that card, be SURE the device is turned OFF, or if a computer / reader, that the card is EJECTED. You might have done it without thinking too much. I have. I fried a 256MB SD that way. We use up to 8GB (yes, I mean Gigabyte) CF cards in my company, and at the price of those puppy's (over $700 each) we are VERY, VERY careful to have the power off or card ejected.

I think I MAY have pulled the card out of my card reader during a transfer. Is that all it takes to render it defective? Touchy little buggers.

I have had a cheapie-SD from Office Depot that has worked longer than the batteries (more than one!) for my camera...

Please understand SD cards are NOTORIOUS for being a pain to work with in Windows. The "secure" area of the card cannot be formatted and any attempt to do so will effectively make the card unusable. This is particularly true for Sandisk cards. Whether it's locked by the little switch or not is irrelevent from this perspective. You will likely need a program specifically designed to format the data section only, like "SDFormatter" from Panasonic (it's fee). This will resurect the card. Also, try to format the card using the device it is installed; this should work too.

I use MMC cards. They don't have the "secure" features and can read/write almost as fast as SD now without any of the format problems.

I agree.. the locked tab doesn't factor in. I gave SDFormatter a try.. it won't recognize the card either. I'd be happy to sell to someone who can get it to work??

Please understand SD cards are NOTORIOUS for being a pain to work with in Windows. The "secure" area of the card cannot be formatted and any attempt to do so will effectively make the card unusable. This is particularly true for Sandisk cards. Whether it's locked by the little switch or not is irrelevent from this perspective. You will likely need a program specifically designed to format the data section only, like "SDFormatter" from Panasonic (it's fee). This will resurect the card. Also, try to format the card using the device it is installed; this should work too.

I use MMC cards. They don't have the "secure" features and can read/write almost as fast as SD now without any of the format problems.