Etrex Vista Cx

timk54

My Magellan SportTrac started giving me problems the last couple trips to the desert. The power would not turn on even with external power cord connected. Then the next day it turned on but shut down intermittantly.

I went to The Sport Chalet to look at a replacement. I asked the sales person about computer conectivity and the possibility of downloading maps. I really want to put Topo maps on my GPS. I liked the Garmin Etrex Vista C with 8 mega bites of memory onboard and bought it because he said Etrex didn't sell a GPS with expandable memory. Now a week later I find that

Garmin has the Etrex Vista Cx that with a 32 MB removable chip in the package. I think I'm going to take the Vista C back to Sports Chalet and go somewhere else to buy the Vista Cx. My question is can I load all the topo maps for California on a GPS with 8 MB and if not how many maps can I load to a Vista Cx with 32 MB memory. I'm still learning the whole GPS operation. I need to use it to map the gold claims my group holds. It is a valuable tool for giving directions to the claims as they are located in remote areas.

One last question. When setting up the GPS what map datum do I use? I looked on the topo map for one of our gold claims and there were three datums listed.

Thanks in advance for reading and answering my question.

Both the Vista (monochrome) and Vista C have 24 MB of memory.

The Legend (monochrome) is the unit that only has 8 MB.

I have the Topo maps for all of San Diego County and the corridor all the way up to Reno, as well as several City Select Maps from San Diego to Las Vegas, on the 24 MB of my Vista C.

I love my Vista C. It is a very durable, reliable GPSr. :smile:

Both the Vista (monochrome) and Vista C have 24 MB of memory.

The Legend (monochrome) is the unit that only has 8 MB.

I have the Topo maps for all of San Diego County and the corridor all the way up to Reno, as well as several City Select Maps from San Diego to Las Vegas, on the 24 MB of my Vista C.

I love my Vista C. It is a very durable, reliable GPSr. :smile:

I was told by the sales person that the Vista C had 8 MB memory . I thought i was talking to a knowledgeble outdoorsman who knew the product. Boy was I wrong. Now what to do. Shjould I take it back and spend a little more for the unit with expandable memory or keep the Vista C. Regardless of the outcomne I will have more questions about the use of my GPS so thanks to all who have responded.

Tim K

Unless you travel a lot, the 24 MB should be adequate. Because the Vista C uses USB, even if you need to change maps, it can be done quickly.

The only other thing to consider is the price you paid. Because the new units are coming out, the Vista C is being discounted some places.

Unless you travel a lot, the 24 MB should be adequate. Because the Vista C uses USB, even if you need to change maps, it can be done quickly.

The only other thing to consider is the price you paid. Because the new units are coming out, the Vista C is being discounted some places.

The Vista C listed at $299 at the Sport Chalet but they gave it to me for $265 since it was a display model. I really dont care about the price difference between the Vista C and The Vista CX that much I keep thinking that it must be a valuable feature to be able to expand memory or interchange memory cards. So the new units you are speaking about are the Vista Cx.

Tim K

Expanding memory would be a valuable feature for someone who travels a lot and needs many maps available without having to have their laptop along so they can change maps.

For me, the 24 MB in my Vista C is adequate, and I don't have to worry about a card.

Recently, a 256 MB card for my camera got corrupted and I had to spend $40.00 to replace it . . . :smile:

I don't own a Vista but have a 60CSx. I replaced the 64 card with a 512 card. I'll sell it for 10.00 (plus actual shipping) if you want to PM me. The 512 I bought online and have had no problems. I have street navigator and topo on it. Navigator covers all western us fro=m Colorado to the coast while topo has Utah and Idaho. That only used about 350mg. Well worth having a larger card.

Shawn Lewis

The Vista C listed at $299 at the Sport Chalet but they gave it to me for $265 since it was a display model. I really dont care about the price difference between the Vista C and The Vista CX that much I keep thinking that it must be a valuable feature to be able to expand memory or interchange memory cards. So the new units you are speaking about are the Vista Cx.

Tim K

Vista C's are going for $199. at alot of places.

Vista CX's are going for about $350.

I don't own a Vista but have a 60CSx. I replaced the 64 card with a 512 card. I'll sell it for 10.00 (plus actual shipping) if you want to PM me. The 512 I bought online and have had no problems. I have street navigator and topo on it. Navigator covers all western us fro=m Colorado to the coast while topo has Utah and Idaho. That only used about 350mg. Well worth having a larger card.

Shawn Lewis

Shawn does the unit slow down a lot with that much information on the memory?

Shawn Lewis

I have not noticed any slowdown. That's not to say that someone from this thread who wields a Phd in astrophysics hasn't measured a nanosecond of difference, but to me it hasn't slowed a bit.

Shawn Lewis

I have not noticed any slowdown. That's not to say that someone from this thread who wields a Phd in astrophysics hasn't measured a nanosecond of difference, but to me it hasn't slowed a bit.

One more question. Does any sd card work in the garmin Cx or are the Garmin cards propritary to Garmin handhelds

I just got my Vista Cx and I can confirm it has shipped with a 64mb microsd/transflash card.

that's great for you. I got my Vista CX about a month ago and it came with a 32mb card. I guess it's not that big of a deal though since I just ordered a 512 card anway. I called outpost.com because they listed the 1gb microSD card, but they told me it would nto be available until April.. and I need the card before then

Edited by mcewen98

I just got my Vista Cx and I can confirm it has shipped with a 64mb microsd/transflash card.

that's great for you. I got my Vista CX about a month ago and it came with a 32mb card. I guess it's not that big of a deal though since I just ordered a 512 card anway. I called outpost.com because they listed the 1gb microSD card, but they told me it would nto be available until April.. and I need the card before then

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision.

I took the Vista C back to Sport Chalet this morning and then bought the Vista Cx at GPSnow. I also ordered the US Topo disk so I'm ready to map some of my desert gold claims. Well as soon as I figure out how to do that I will.

Thanks again folks

TimK54