Magellan Explorist 210

JandTB

We have just purchased a Magellan Explorist 210 and we are finding that the mauals it came with are useless. We tried to use the software to enter a waypoint and it won't tranfer the coordinates to the unit it only tranfers the name of the file. Is there a trick to transfering these to the unit or is it just easier to enter them by hand? And is there another manual or book we can buy that will help us use this GPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are anxious to get started on our new hobby. Thank you!

James and Tracy

We have just purchased a Magellan Explorist 210 and we are finding that the mauals it came with are useless. We tried to use the software to enter a waypoint and it won't tranfer the coordinates to the unit it only tranfers the name of the file. Is there a trick to transfering these to the unit or is it just easier to enter them by hand? And is there another manual or book we can buy that will help us use this GPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are anxious to get started on our new hobby. Thank you!

James and Tracy

I have that model and yes the manual is not so helpful. I loaded the wavepoints three times before I got it to work. Only think I can really say is good luck. Sorry.

James and Tracy

I have that model and yes the manual is not so helpful. I loaded the wavepoints three times before I got it to work. Only think I can really say is good luck. Sorry.

I run PQs then I load them with the Geocache manager, it is very easy to do.

Hook your explorist to your computer (With the cable running down thae back of the GPS)and put the GPS in file trafer mode

Select interanel memory or SD card.

Start the geocache manaager and then just drag the GPX file into the manager and click OK

Thats it.

Once you have load a few file it becomes second nature.

I have tried using GSAK with out any luck, a better help menu with GSAK may help.

I use GSAK just for my meridian gold, and for load waypoints to Streets and trips

Here is a more comprehensive manual that you may not have?

Click here

Wow! Thanks so much! This looks like this will be a HUGE help. One would have thought that the company would have included a good manual WITH the product...not just online. I checked the magellan web site and I made the assumption that they would have included all important manuals in the box...and any manuals posted on the web would be repeats of what I already had. I guess I was wrong though...that's what I get for assuming! Thanks again!

I've just got a Magellan 300 and fortunately the manual was found on the same site, so thanks for that.

One question though, how on Earth do I enter a 6 character waypoint? The only way I have found to go to a location is to add the location as a point of interest and then select the GOTO option.

Incidently, can I assume that I cannot transfer any more data to the Magellan 300, as it came with no cables, or indeed IO ports.

One question though, how on Earth do I enter a 6 character waypoint? The only way I have found to go to a location is to add the location as a point of interest and then select the GOTO option.

Incidently, can I assume that I cannot transfer any more data to the Magellan 300, as it came with no cables, or indeed IO ports.

1. Use the Mark button to create a POI that you can then immediately edit to name and/or location of your choice.

2. That's what Magellan intends for you to assume, although some people just don't take no for an answer.

Thanks for the link Embra, it looks interesting.

So, only once I have uploaded all the waypoints will I be able to enter them when I am looking for a cache on geocaching.com.

What is annoying then is that when you print out a geccache description from geocaching.com it only displays the waypoint location. It doesn't display the full coordinates. At the moment, the waypoing info is useless to me.

Still, I can at least get the coords from the site itself, I just have to remember to write it on the printout.

All good fun. :D