60 Csx Back Light Problem

Has anyone experienced a problem with the back light on the 60 CSx? I have noticed several times that even with the back light function turned on the back light its self won't come on unless you turn the unit off and then back on again. When the back light won't come on the lights that illuminate the buttons still work. I have had it happen a couple of times but have not been able to duplicate the problem at will. Seems to me that it is a firmware issue because the lights do work. You just have to turn off and then back on. I e-mailed garmin so I guess we will see what they say.

Well ..... The backlight does have a time out feature that turns it off after a set time period of inactivity. I believe there is a setting for the time period. I just tap the power button quickly and it comes back on .... no need to power off and on. The backlight feature is also tied into the clock ..... knowing when dusk is to come alive. Using the external power input while driving at night the unit stays in backlight mode continuously. This is explained fairly well in the manual. :laughing: ImpalaBob

We all realize it has a set amount of time that it stays on before going out. I'm saying that there have been times that after it goes out it won't come back on unless you turn the unit off and then back on again.

I saw this same problem tonight; I was on the satellite page and using the up arrow to turn the backlight back on when I wanted to look at the screen; then it stopped turning on the screen but still lit up the keys. Remembering this thread I knew what had happened. I tried several things (including turning on my car's interior lights to make sure the 60CSx was otherwise functioning normally), then recycled power to get the backlight back to normal.

Let me try and clarify a few things. I'm not assuming you are doing anything wrong .... just trying to help.

Taping the power button is how you quickly set/change the level. Enter or quit gets the slider off the screen when done.

Correct Setup lets you select day, night or auto ...... brightness level ..... and how long it stays on.

If in auto ..... when after GPS internal clock says dusk is (based on correct clock and calander settings) .... backlight comes on when you hit any key for time specified.

If in day .... backlight does not work.

If in night ..... backlight comes on when you hit any key for specified time.

YES .... This should repeat as many times as you hit any key.

External power turns backlight on constantly in auto after dusk, or when in night mode.

If you understand this, and it is not operating correctly You should contact Garmin for a repair.

We have 2 60C units and the backlighting has never failed us. :( ImpalaBob

Let me try and clarify a few things. I'm not assuming you are doing anything wrong .... just trying to help.

Taping the power button is how you quickly set/change the level. Enter or quit gets the slider off the screen when done.

Correct Setup lets you select day, night or auto ...... brightness level ..... and how long it stays on.

If in auto ..... when after GPS internal clock says dusk is (based on correct clock and calander settings) .... backlight comes on when you hit any key for time specified.

If in day .... backlight does not work.

If in night ..... backlight comes on when you hit any key for specified time.

YES .... This should repeat as many times as you hit any key.

External power turns backlight on constantly in auto after dusk, or when in night mode.

If you understand this, and it is not operating correctly You should contact Garmin for a repair.

We have 2 60C units and the backlighting has never failed us. ;) ImpalaBob

Well Im glad I found out about the power button bringing up the backlight options, because my unit set the backlight back to 0% even at night everytime.

Would be nice if you turn it on in the dark the screen should light up. I think the backlight should ALWAYS come on when you turn on the unit for like 30 sec.

But anyone else have there backlight reset to 0% always?

Well Im glad I found out about the power button bringing up the backlight options, because my unit set the backlight back to 0% even at night everytime.

Would be nice if you turn it on in the dark the screen should light up. I think the backlight should ALWAYS come on when you turn on the unit for like 30 sec.

But anyone else have there backlight reset to 0% always?

When you fire up your unit, day or night, the backlight will not come on until you give the power button a quick press as mentioned above and for a good reason. Once you do that then the light will come on at any button press and at the intensity level and duration that you indicate in the setup menu.

If the backlight were to be activated when powering up then you would be putting an unnecessary load on the batteries with each button press during those times when the light is not required.

Olar