Hp Ipaq 6515

GS&Dogs

I had a 6515 for a couple of days but ended up taking it back and exchanging it for a smaller phone. I loved most of the features, but just couldn't live with the size of the phone. I used it more as a phone than anything else so if you use the PDA more then I'm sure you could live with it.

I downloaded the BeeLineGPS software for it and it was awesome! I also got Microsoft Streets & Trips which made it an awesome all around unit. I never got the chance to go looking for a cache while I had the unit, but played around with the software. From what I saw, if you did a lot of Geocaching or used the PDA a lot then this would definitely be the unit to buy.

Everything you need all wraped up into one! The size was just a little cumbersome for me.

The size is a bit of a concern for me but in a way that could be a good thing as the screen is larger than most units available and therefore making it handy when driving etc. I have even considered keeping the old vista for those caches where a little more physical activity is needed and only use the IPAQ for paperless caching and getting to the location via car.

How did the unit pick up satellites and keep them locked?

I have a friend that just got the HP 6515 and we are exploring how to load the geocach pocket query from geocaching.com into the 6515 so she could do some caching. She purchased the HP NavTeq GPS sotware bundle which provides maps, points of interests, auto-routing, etc.... Any body have experience on how to load the gpx file into the HP 6515? Thanks in advance.

I have a friend that just got the HP 6515 and we are exploring how to load the geocach pocket query from geocaching.com into the 6515 so she could do some caching. She purchased the HP NavTeq GPS sotware bundle which provides maps, points of interests, auto-routing, etc.... Any body have experience on how to load the gpx file into the HP 6515? Thanks in advance.

Check out Cachemate, just move the gpx file over to the HP and load into Cachemate. Not sure how it works with the square screen and haven't tried CacheNav with that phone, would be cool if it worked tho.

I have tested the phone tho. It's time to first fix is very slow. It has a software method to speed that up, but it is awkward at best. I would guess that is due to the internal antenna.

I have used the Hp6515 and the yet to be released Hp6915 for geocaching purposes. Here are my observations:

The key requirement is to get decent software to work with the unit. I am using Mapapolis and find that this s/w does not allow point to point navigation - it insists on following roads (not always the best method). In addition, any "goto" is turned off once the unit is "close" to the cache. A goto should never be cancelled unless done so by the user.

I am able to use GPX files that are translated by GPXtoMaplet into an MLP file that is used by Mapopolis. The unit uses GPRS to download the latest satellite information that is valid for 2 days. With current files the FTTF is quite fast, satellite tracking very good even in poor environments.

Battery life in the unit is the weak point in doing caches away from a power source. The Hp6515 returned about 4 hours of navigation - the Hp6915 has not been measured yet but is expected to be around the same.

Using either of these devices has many benefits including logging caches while on site or doing lookups if you run into trouble. However these benefits are available to many other wireless devices.

I have both these units and would not take them caching on a regular basis over my Garmin Legend C. This may not be an entirely fair comment however as their are other software tools that may greatly improve geocaching use. Firstly, you have to determine your overall requirement and if you are interested in carry multiple single use products (over an all-in-one such as the Hp6x15).

BTW, I use geotoad to obtain information for my caching activities. I have this tool generate an HTML and GPX file. The GPX file is translated using GPXtoMaplet then both files uploaded to the Hp6x15.

Happy caching

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

I have used the Hp6515 and the yet to be released Hp6915 for geocaching purposes. Here are my observations:

Thanks for the information!!! I'll probably hold off for a while longer before switching from my Palm T3. It still does most of what I need at this point, and doesn't sound like there are enough advantages with the 6[59]15 for me yet.

The key requirement is to get decent software to work with the unit. I am using Mapapolis and find that this s/w does not allow point to point navigation - it insists on following roads (not always the best method). In addition, any "goto" is turned off once the unit is "close" to the cache. A goto should never be cancelled unless done so by the user.

Mapopolis can be used off road. After you set the cache to navigate to, delete the Navigation. The routing on the roads goes away. However, the GPS page will continue to show the bearing arrow, distance to cache, course angle, compass rose, altitusde etc. I shut off Lock on Road also when in nthe woods.

Thanks to all that responded. It seems as if the idea behind the 6[]15 is good but there are still some technical issues causing downfalls in its use. What I find really scary is that your average pda can do so much more than your average gps and yet the gps is priced at a premium(here in SA anyway). Why the modern gps units do not have gpx(or similar) storage ability is beyond me. Its all just 1s and 0s!

Thanks again for the input