Palm Tx & Gps

Bergers

So I'm a brand-newbie, wanting to buy my first GPS device. I do a fair amount of business travel as well, and would like a Palm TX-based unit that I can use both for geocaching and to find my way in new places. Since I travel with my PDA-brains, I'd prefer not to have to carry another unit. As I read about the various attachments, all the literature and reviews talk about street navigation but say nothing about off-road capabilities.

Does anyone know about their utility when I get lost in the underbrush to find caches? Also, can we input a cache location as a location or point of interest?

Thanks in advance.

I've recently started using a TX with Globalstat's BT338. It seems like a really capable unit and is much more sensitive that the Etrex Legend we've nearly worn out over 6 months of geocaching. I haven't gotten it into any heavy cover yet (being that it's winter and all), but I would image that it performs admirably under such conditions. Just be sure to have the capability of being able to charge both units at the same time in your car as both use internal battery packs.

I've recently started using a TX with Globalstat's BT338. It seems like a really capable unit and is much more sensitive that the Etrex Legend we've nearly worn out over 6 months of geocaching. I haven't gotten it into any heavy cover yet (being that it's winter and all), but I would image that it performs admirably under such conditions. Just be sure to have the capability of being able to charge both units at the same time in your car as both use internal battery packs.

I've got the BT338 as well. It gets a 3D WAAS fix in my house (but so does my Magellan Platinum). I have had it in heavy tree cover and it never loses signal, even sitting on my belt so my body is supposedly blocking half the sky.

The BT338 bluetooth means I don't have to have both hands filled or cables dangling around. Great unit!! Add Fugawi with topo maps which they sell and its a great off-road duo (I also have a T|X).

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

I've got the BT338 as well. It gets a 3D WAAS fix in my house (but so does my Magellan Platinum). I have had it in heavy tree cover and it never loses signal, even sitting on my belt so my body is supposedly blocking half the sky.

The BT338 bluetooth means I don't have to have both hands filled or cables dangling around. Great unit!! Add Fugawi with topo maps which they sell and its a great off-road duo (I also have a T|X).

JDandDD

Did you use the demo software with the BT338 to change some settings to allow for a WAAS lock? I have yet to get a lock with the 338, but have also lost the ability to lock on with my trust Legend. Maybe they're still playing around with repositioning the sats.

Did you use the demo software with the BT338 to change some settings to allow for a WAAS lock? I have yet to get a lock with the 338, but have also lost the ability to lock on with my trust Legend. Maybe they're still playing around with repositioning the sats.

No, its on by default. They are still playing around with the satellites but I just checked it tonight and for the first time in a couple of weeks I'm now getting the correction from satellite 33. It shows in Cachenav (part of cachemate for Palm) as DGPS at the top of the screen rather than WAAS. But that does mean its getting WAAS correction.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Although I'm using a Pocket PC, Mapopolis voice and visual auto navigation program operate on both type of units. It also can be used off road as it will display the compass rose, bearing arrow, altitude, current coordinates, distance to cache etc. What I like about Mapopolis is you can overlay the caches over their street maps gpxtomaplet program. So you can see where the caches are as you drive around doing other things. Also, Mapopolis will use my Microsoft Outlook contact list when I want to route to an address that's already in the contact list. You can try Mapopolis free for 9 days.

I've recently bought a CF GPS with the Sirf III GPS chipset - the most sensitive out there today. I'm not sure whether you unit has a CF slot but I believe there are models that will slip into the SD memory slot and come with memory as well for the maps. Or you can use a Bluetooth model. You can check out the variables at semsons.com or gpspassion.com good luck

I received a Palm TX from Santa last Christmas and use it to store cache pages using GPX Spinner and Plucker. I hesitate to use it as, and instead of, a handheld GPS due to its lack of waterproofness and its delicate construction. I carry it with me in its metal carrying case and refer to it as needed, but I was wondering what precautions you take to insure its survival while caching offroad (the original topic)? I think of some of the caches I have done and the abuse my 76CS has taken and shudder to think what would have happened to my TX.

After I submitted my last post I checked out the profiles of the posters to this topic. I think all of them had posted pictures showing them using a dedicated handheld GPSr. For me, it's not worth the risk to my TX and the expense of another receiver to use it as my geocaching navigation system (especially since I have a 76CS to use). I really like having those hints and recent logs readily available, though.

I am looking at the PalmTX and a bluetooth GPS unit as a great combination. I am not sure how this will work,

But I have a Palm I use now that has all the hints in it. I have a GPS. Combining the two with Bluetooth sounds like an answered prayer.

Like I mentioned before, while I have not used my TX/BT338 combo a lot for caching, it does seem to hold a lot of promise. At the very least, it is a very convient package for navigating into the vicinity of a cache. Cachemate/cachenav also allows for very easy access to a virtually unlimited number of caches.