Can An Archived Cache Be Adopted?

Cardinal Red

Someone moved out of the area and a few local Cachers adopted their Caches to keep them alive. I own two of them now. If the day ever comes that they have to be archived, I would like to be able to return mine to the original hider. Since they would no longer need maintenance, I think the most appropriate place for them would be in the orginal hiders stats. Anybody ever considered this before?

I've thought about that, too.

I have a few adopted, and I've had to archive a couple of them. I thought I ought to return the listing to the original owner, but since it's not such a big deal, I didn't go through with it.

On one of my archived adopted caches, the local approver locked the listing and hasn't yet responded to my emails asking for an explanation... I'd like to get that fixed first.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Someone moved out of the area and a few local Cachers adopted their Caches to keep them alive. I own two of them now. If the day ever comes that they have to be archived, I would like to be able to return mine to the original hider. Since they would no longer need maintenance, I think the most appropriate place for them would be in the orginal hiders stats. Anybody ever considered this before?

There wouldn't be any reason why not, however they would probably have to adopt it back then archive it themselves.

On one of my archived adopted caches, the local approver locked the listing and hasn't yet responded to my emails asking for an explanation... I'd like to get that fixed first.

I've never understood why they do not do this on all archived caches, at least one s that have been archived for X number of days. No reason to be posting logs there anymore.

I've posted logs to caches that have been archived well over a year. Removal of travel bugs stranded in the archive, report on the conditions in the area after the hurricanes (some of these caches have a dozen or so watchers) and after an email exchange with the owner, report that I have physically removed the cache. I've seen some of the most interesting exchanges, including working out an adoption, take place on the pages of an archived cache. I see no reason to lock an archived listing.

I've never understood why they do not do this on all archived caches, at least one s that have been archived for X number of days. No reason to be posting logs there anymore.

Certainly you want to keep it up for at least a month for the stragglers to log. But I don't see any real reason to lock it at all unless it's getting abused. I have found a few caches that had been archived for over a year, and were archived because the hider didn't cache anymore, not because the cache wasn't there anymore.