Ngs Benchmarks On Pocket Queries

T_FreeLancer

While not as pretty as an eBook, in a pinch you could get the benchmark info onto a Palm by running the GPX file through GPSBabel and converting it to a PalmDoc. It'd come out as one long document without a Table of Contents, but you could still search through it using the benchmark's PID to get down to the description.

About 3 posts down (when I looked) was this topic. I don't think there's a way to get ebooks though.

I would still like to see a PQ where you could specify a benchmark as the type of cache. Mickey Mousing around with other websites doesn't seem like the way I want to spend my time. I'd really like to use a PQ, download it into GSAK and be on my way.

Member feature only maybe ? or an additional nominal fee ?

About 3 posts down (when I looked) was this topic. I don't think there's a way to get ebooks though.

I would still like to see a PQ where you could specify a benchmark as the type of cache. Mickey Mousing around with other websites doesn't seem like the way I want to spend my time. I'd really like to use a PQ, download it into GSAK and be on my way.

You can not run a PQ for benchmarks. However you can download all benchmarks by county and put them in GSAK. I then download to my GPSr and pocket pc. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_archive.prl

Before Pocket Queries, Groundspeak needs to generate GPX for each benchmark PID first.

I've looked at the source for BMGPX (mentioned by Lil'Devil above) and it shouldn't be difficult for Groundspeak to implement something similar, if they have the time to do it. In fact, I'll even speculate that they have something like that already since they were able to transfer BM information from the NGS database and host it on GC.com.

I, too, would like to see this happen some day.

You can not run a PQ for benchmarks. However you can download all benchmarks by county and put them in GSAK. I then download to my GPSr and pocket pc. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_archive.prl

This is the method I use too. Takes a total of five minutes - that's dumping the GPX file in streets and trips too. Works Great!

Using the NGS site, you get the latest info. GC.com does not have info on BMs that would have been added after the year 2000, nor does GC.com include all BMs in a county. So given the option of making a PQ of BMs form the GC.com site is really not worth the effort if you're seriously thinkng of trying to find them.

This would seem to answer two questions I have, since I have recently started benchmarking. The first was about getting .gpx files for benchmarks. Nope, for now. The second was how often GC.com updates the data for the BMs, and it would seem that they don't. Would be nice if they did.

Scott

Edited by bvrballs

The second was how often GC.com updates the data for the BMs, and it would seem that they don't. Would be nice if they did.

Have you checked out the US Benchmarks category on Waymarking.com? If you are lucky enough to have an active benchmarker in your are who knows about Waymarking, maybe they've listed a few there. I've been doing some more benchmarks since it's become hot and I've cleared out a lot of the drive-up/walk-up caches near me. I am listing on Waymarking most of the benchmarks I find that aren't on geocaching.com.

However, there is still the GPX limitation. You can't download coords from Waymarking yet, so you'll still be relying on the NGS website and bmgpx program.