Aerial Mapping?

vfrpilot

I just read a post where someone showed a track log super-imposed over a aerial photo

Very cool -

I didn't want to take the post off topic by inquiring too much - the poster did link to the software (which I'm in the process of downloading), so I fiquired I'd inquire in a new thread.

But what can everyone tell me about this overlay?? Is it difficult to set up?

I have a 60c

Thanks!

I just read a post where someone showed a track log super-imposed over a aerial photo...

Is it difficult to set up?

I have a 60c

USAPhotoMaps (http://jdmcox.com) makes it very easy. Here's an example of a tracklog in pretty heavy tree cover:

Screen03.jpg

and here's one more in the open where you can see the accuracy of the registration:

Screen09.jpg

GoogleEarth also lets you see your GPS tracklogs and waypoints - and it also displays the tracklogs in a video format as if you were in a small plane about 2400' above ground level following right along the track.

Edited by peter

vfrpilot, I downloaded that program also, it's amazing! You'll need to find the mapping for your state through it's GIS site. I found 1 meter color aerial photos for rural Kentucky. You better have higher speed internet if you want it to go well, I have dial-up and it is a pain to D-load mapping.

Does anyone know if I can get color imagery for rural KY using USAPhotomaps?

Not yet AFAIK. USAPhotoMaps depends on the TerraServer data and that only provides color images for some major metropolitan areas and surroundings.

Thanks peter and RK.

I know where the online database is for the photos, it covers the entire state. They are "big" (for dial-up) at around 15MB per data block. (~5 Sq. Mi. ???) I would assume other states have similar projects. It is an impressive Database, the photos are pretty current, taken in summer 2004.

Edited by Airmapper

vfrpilot, I downloaded that program also, it's amazing! You'll need to find the mapping for your state through it's GIS site. I found 1 meter color aerial photos for rural Kentucky. You better have higher speed internet if you want it to go well, I have dial-up and it is a pain to D-load mapping.

AirMapper,

I d/led [uSAMap - if thats what you're talkin' about] it - but can only get un-zoomed aerials in black & white -

Its cool though.

Managed to configure my 60c within 20 minutes - downloaded tracks & superimposed on the map - but as I said; they are b/w & taken from higher altidude than what I'm seeing the other guys posting :huh:

I can't even come close to the parking lots - roads are barley distinguishable

I also d/led GlobalMapper - but can't get THAT to work at all :(

Plus - the high res images are not available for New Jersey / Philadelphia :(

I know where the online database is for the photos, it covers the entire state. They are "big" (for dial-up) at around 15MB per data block. (~5 Sq. Mi. ???) I would assume other states have similar projects. It is an impressive Database, the photos are pretty current, taken in summer 2004.

WHERE??

Do they have NJ & PA. ??

Please share....

Edited by vfrpilot

vfrpilot,

Even though the USAphotomaps are in B&W, they should have 1 meter resolution. Not as good as the photos in this thread, but roads should be clear.

I'll look real quick for some GIS sites in your state.

--------

I'm back,

Here, is the New Jersey GIS homepage, under Downloads is THIS page, which is where you can download blocks of mapping for the Global Map viewer. The downside to the **UNREGISTERED** Global Mapper is that you will only be able to display 3 tiles and a GPS data file at one time. Registered is unlimited.

Global Mapper is pretty intense, but what it has the ability's to do is phenomenal. The downloads will probably be in formats you've never seen, but Global Mapper can read them. I've been playing with it and can display an aerial shot, overlay a full color terrain chart, and overlay a Tiger streets, waterways, and Census info, and then put a Lowrance Data file on top. (4 files, maxed out.) If I was rich, I'd register this thing. (About $130)

Edited by Airmapper