Making A Puzzle Cache

TeamVilla5

Simplest way?

Steal a good idea from somewhere else!

Look at some of the threads here on peoples' toughest chalenges and find one you a)can solve and b)take a while to do so!

Then take it!

(there's an issue with attribution, of course. It's a bit rude to steal an idea without giving credit for it, but if you do, then your finders can look at the original cache and maybe get extra clues, etc. I get around this with a 'winners page' that finders only get the password to when they find the cache. That's where I put the story of the cache, including who I appropriated it from, if I had!)

Some of my caches are based on historical events that I read, some are based on news items, some are based on failed approaches to other puzzle caches and some are based on landmark geography.

2 months ago I had none in the queue and then all of a sudden I failed to find a local puzzle which gave me my next one and almost the same day I read something which gave me the second one. Some seekers of the second have had failed approaches which gave me the idea for my next one.

Just let the mind flow, you'll get one. I went from none in the queue to 2 in the field and 1 in the queue in about a month.

Paul

Write what you know.

Draw what you know.

Puzzle what you know.

I've always loved mazes. So all my puzzles are mazes (up to now). I have other ideas for puzzles, but I'm going to wait until I've exhausted the different ways to hide coordinates in mazes.

Do you like crossword puzzles? Ever do Sudoku? Seek and Find? Heck, I bet there's even a way to do it with [censored because I just came up with a cool puzzle].

Do some brainstorming with friends. Make a multi where cachers have to figure out what you're trying to tell them at each stage.

Pick a famous serial killer in your area and build it around that. (We have one who's been dumping hookers in the swamps. I'd do something based on that, but he hasn't been caught yet and I'd hate to have you go out and meet him.)