Hard To Decrypt Hints

Mvillian

took about 10 seconds to figure out looking above the turtle. This is even more irritating than the ones who write the hint backwards. Depending on the intended difficulty of the cache, I don't give a hint, I use something like a double meaning, or just something like "Loosen the wing nut."

Interesting idea - took me a few minutes to figure it out. I'm not sure why it would be needed for most caches, but if part of the way to find the cache is intentionally using the ROT13 that way it certainly provides some added challenge. BTW, the last apostrophe is probably not needed as I am assuming it is supposed to be a plural word rather than a possesive word. Come to think of it, the first one may not be needed either but I'm not sure if that word is properly spelled as a contraction or if it is its own word. I really don't know, but it certainly makes enough sense as it is.

I have a "two speed cache" which is a puzzle for those who like such things, and a web page where someone can enter their caching name and email address and get an email sent to them with the final coords.

The only requirement is that the finder must state which method they used to find the cache.

This way, those who prefer a traditional cache get one, and I get to see who's used the 'clue' to keep 'em honest!

I've posted this idea before, but will add it here, also.

For my next cache hide, I plan to have the cache page hint be something like "Film can at N xx yyy.zzz, W aa bbb.ccc" At those coords (perhaps 100 feet or so from the real cache) I'll hide a film can with the actual hint inside it. THAT will be something like "Eye level hide" or "Red stone".

The film can hint will be subtle enough that a muggle couldn't use it to go directly to the real cache. As the film can would not be an officially listed cache, it needn't be 528 feet away, and it would also serve as a "bonus" find for those who choose to find/use it.

Come to think of it, hiding a film can hint might be one way to make a light post hide respectable!