My First Gps - Explorer210 Or Etrex Legend Or Etrexventure?

kimm14

:lol: Hi...my eyes are now crossed after 2 days of pouring over internet info. I would like to start Geocaching with my kids...trying to stay below $160. The three units that seem to fit my criteria are Magellan eXplorer210 or eTrex Legend or eTrexVenture ...connectivity to my pcs is a must. Any strong feelings which way I should go?? We live in Mass and have a cottage in Maine...so pine tree coverage could be a factor. Thanks in advance for any and all advice! ps We could be digging out for days maybe a grip for the snow shovel handle as an option? (just kidding)
:D My wife and I have used a legend from day one of geocaching. It's a solid starters unit with only a couple of problems. First, no external antenna port, if you're going to be caching in heavy cover, that can be a detriment. However, there are reradiating external antennas available. Second, they only hold 1000 waypoints. This probably won't be an issue with you for a while, but if you start going on big caching trips and want to download all the waypoints for a particular area, it could be a problem. Computer interface isn't a problem, just get GSAK and use the included serial cable to download the waypoints. The only other very minor problem is using the joystick can be annoying with gloves on. :lol:

The Legend is a very popular starter unit because its inexpensive (now under $120) and has mapping. The Venture is not nearly as popular because its cost is very close to the Legend and it doesn't have mapping.

As good a unit the Legend is for the money, of the three you ask about, the eXplorist 210 should be the way to go. Its newer technology and has nearly triple the map memory of the Legend. If you were comparing the 210 with a Vista, Vista C or Legend C, it would be a different story, but the 210 is a better unit than the Legend and the Legend is better than the Venture. The 210 is more expensive than the Legend though, so if money is a consideration, the Legend starts to look better.

I think they'll all serve you well. I love my 210. I hear it gets better reception under cover than others. I can get a good signal inside my house even. Here's some links to a couple of other discussions on the 210:

Here

Other owners thoughts

Like was said in the first link:

...ordered a 210 from GPSmarketplace.com for $153.00.

I love it. :lol:

-Runs on AA Batteries

-USB connection and Geocaching management software for importing the .loc files.

-Fits your hand nicely

-Controls are well laid out

-Consistently get good signal from Sats.

-Can run on USB power (I have a standard Cig Lighter to USB power adaptor I use for my PDA and MP3 player and now my GPSR)

-Menus are clean, simple.

-Even loads the Cache Logo's from GC.com (Cache box, ghost,"?" Multiple boxes...) on screen for the Geocache.

Amen, brother. I've been using my 210 for maybe a month now, and I love it as well. In addition to the above, it locks on to those satellites in less than a minute, and once the WAAS kicks in (a few minutes later I've found) it gets me right on top of the cache. I got mine of Amazon for $160 and free shipping.

You can find more oppinions in the software forum, where this thread may get moved to, or by using the search feature

Edited by Monkey Toes

Thanks for your help! Legend or 210 seem like the way to go. I just offered a guy $80 for his used Legend...seemed like a good deal...he wants to get rid of it because he bought a newer model. If he doesn't accept then I'll pick up the 210 for $153 at the website you told me about...Knowing me in a year I'll want to spend the extra money for a color screen or better product. I do really look forward to trying Geo-caching! Enjoy the snow if you live in the North East! :anicute:

Edited by kimm14

The Legend and the Venture cannot hold a candle to the Explorist 210. The 210 had a better receiver than the Legend of the Venture. The Explorist 210 has 22MNB on memory to store maps, the Legend has 8BM of memory for maps. The venture cannot display maps. The Legend and the Venture are dinosaures in the GPS world. The Explorsist uses a USB data cable, the Legend and the Venture do not.

Edit to add:

$70.00 would be a better price for the legend, and that's if it is in read good condition and includes the Data cable it came with.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

:mellow: I bought the Explorist 210 today for $153 at GPSMarketplace.com. I appreciate everyone's help!! The used Legend guy only dropped his price to $115...I'd rather own new and have a warranty!

You made a good choice.

If the Legend Guy wants $115.00 for a Legend he might try selling it on E-Bay, there he might get $150.00