Seeking True Paperless Gps

EdgeWise

Hi,

I've recently entered the wonderful world of geocaching and am now looking into getting myself a unit, but i want something that doesn't require a palm or pocketpc device to do paperless gpx caches, i've been looking at the garmin 60csx but i'm not certain if it can do this or not...

Maybe I am just a dunce, but what do you mean by paperless caching?

I always download direct to my 60cs, from the website and go on my marry way. If you truncate it a bit you can even plug in the hint that goes with the cache.

Another option that you might look into is Custom POI I saw a couple of posts around that spoke to create Custom POI's out of geocaches in the area.

Thanks,

kg.

What I am wondering is if I will be able to view info on the cache with this GPS unit, things like the description, the hints, and then have the ability to log the cache once I found it. Basically I want to know what I am able to do on a Palm or Pocket PC that I will be unable to do on the 60csx.

Okay, well, let me ask you this, as far as paperless caching goes, can the 60csx not do this at all, or what are the shortcomings with it?

I do not have a CSX model, but my C model will only give you the cache name and sometimes the D/T ratings, depending on the length of the name. I know you could customize GSAK to give you some more useful info, but it is limited.

The advantage of paperless caching comes from having the full description, hints, and past logs. All of which I have used to help me find caches.

If you want to go with a single handheld that will do all that you want you will need a PDA that can talk to a Blue tooth GPS receiver, that can be clipped to a hat or backpack strap. I have seen a few cachers that hunt like this. The only problem is that the PDA's are not as durable as the GPS units.

Roland_oso

What I am wondering is if I will be able to view info on the cache with this GPS unit, things like the description, the hints, and then have the ability to log the cache once I found it. Basically I want to know what I am able to do on a Palm or Pocket PC that I will be unable to do on the 60csx.

No you will not get any of that on a 60csx. Just pick up a cheap palm and run cachemate on it. With cachemate you will get every bit of info on the cache including the last 5 logs to it.