Palm Advice Please

HazelS

I've just gone paperless and have a great Bluetooth IPAQ, but my parents now want to go paperless too.

This is good news, but they are a bit technophobic, and I they don't want the all signing, all dancing PPC method - they'd rather use a Palm - straight forward paperless caching.

So it's their birthdays comming up and as part of their gift I've offered to get them set up as paperless.

So - any hints as to what type of model palm I should be looking at? Any of them easier to use than others?

I REALLY don't want to go down the "Let's discuss the merits of PPC v Palm" please - they have decided a palm is what they want!!

Any help would be fab - thanks!

For cachemate anything above a Palm III has OS 3. For cheap ebay deals, look for any of the roman numeral Palm models, III, IIIc, IIIe, IIIx, IIIex, V, Vx, VII, VIIx. After that came the m series. m100, m105, etc.

All available from ebay.

The more memory the more caches it will hold allthough my palm Vx will hold 4000 caches i generally have 450 on it the same as my GPS.

Cachemate from smittyware £4 is probably the best bit of software.

All the same to use but the sequence above gets better the farther up it you buy.

Cachemate without doubt the only and probably best piece of geocaching software for Palm worth having.

With regards to which model - Whats the budget?

Secondhand or new?

If new, then go for an Tungsten E2 (colour) approx £140 (cheapest), avoid the Zire models at all costs, as in my opinion the screen is just too small to be useful. Palm E2's still fetch decent money on ebay, so much so that you'd be better off buy one new (at least you'll get 12 months warranty).

Secondhand, well the choice is endless via ebay.

I just managed to purchase a mint Palm Vx (monochrome screen) this afternoon for £14.00 complete - which was a real steal. If your not fussed about colour screen and all the bells and whistles - Buy a Palm Vx, good memory and small.

With regards to Sony models, I'm currently using a Clie N770C/U - My personal experiences with Sony made Palm devices, is that the colour screens have a dull muddy, washed out look about them.

You won't go far wrong with either a Vx or an Tungsten E series.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by maporter

I've got a Tungsten E2 which I've had for about a month or so and am delighted with it.

I run Cachemate and Fugawi on it for paperless caching and it works like a dream. I also use Spoiler Sync to get spoiler photos onto the Palm just in case I get really stuck at a cache and have to resort to a spoiler pic. Saved me a fortune in ink toner cartridges too :ph34r:

Edited by The Bolas Heathens