Garmin Etrex

kmundt

Forum lore says more caches have been found with Old Yeller than with any other unit, but I would consider looking at and Etrex Legend. The Legend comes with a cable to load cache info into the unit from your computer instead of manually entering the coordinates by hand. The cable is extra ($20 or so) for the yellow. The Legend also comes with a rudimentary base map, and the ability to load more detailed maps (street and/or topo) later if he decides he wants to do so. The yellow is a non-mapping unit.

I agree! And if you step up a notch since your son is 17, the eTrex Legend would be something very nice that he could grow into. They can be found online at Amazon.com for $139.99 these days! "You could save $30 today with the Amazon.com Visa® Card" they say, and get it for $109.99.

I agree! And if you step up a notch since your son is 17, the eTrex Legend would be something very nice that he could grow into. They can be found online at Amazon.com for $139.99 these days! "You could save $30 today with the Amazon.com Visa® Card" they say, and get it for $109.99.

where have you guys seen em so cheap? when i found it on amazon it was 169 :laughing:

As an ex-owner of an eTrex Legend I would say that I wish I had saved my money and went right to the Legend C. Not (just) because it is color but because the improvement in features and speed is night and day. The Legend C is not just a Legend with color, it has a completely different firmware, tons more features, a better antenna, USB connectivity and is many times faster. I was never happy with the Legend under trees and frequently lost signal, even sometimes in an open field. No such problem with the Legend C.

If you can get a Legend for $100 (or less) then obviously that makes good sense, but if the difference in price between the Legend and Legend C is 50% or less, I would suggest you consider making the invesment for a far better GPS. The Legend C is currently on Amazon for $209, merely $40 more than their price for the "blue" Legend. But $169 is way too much to pay for the Legend (I sold mine to a friend last month for $100).

The reason the Legend C has come down in price is probably because Garmin just released the Legend Cx, so you may be able to find even better prices on new Legend C units in the near future.

I say ditto on the Legend. It comes with the PC cable and that's a $30 add on with the yellow eTrex. I've seen it sold for under $120 lately.

where have you guys seen em so cheap? when i found it on amazon it was 169

I just went to amazon.com, typed in etrex legend, and got it for $139. Same price at www.tigerdirect.com.

Offroute.com has the Legend at $136 when you drop it in a shopping cart. Look around a bit to find a vendor that is out of state, has it in stock...etc

I have both an "old yellow" as well as a Legend and would say that you can keep adding $50 incrementally and get great improvements with each increment, but the jump to the Legend is a must if you think you guys will be doing a lot of geocaching and hooking it up to the computer to shove the coordinates into it. The rest is really a matter of how generous you want to be. Color is indeed very nice.

It's pretty pointless to buy old yeller anymore with the Legends being only about $30 more. The data cable alone is $20, and that's pretty much required for geocaching. Walmart seems to be the cheapest place for a legend at $132. Tigerdirect is the cheapest trustworthy site for a regular Etrex at $98. You pretty much have to figure the cable into that, so say $118. For $14 more, you're getting a basemap, tracback, click stik navigation, 8 mbs of storage for more detailed maps and more.

Edited by dougsmiley

If you have tracking cookies disabled on your Web browser, then enable them.

Then search the following sites FIRST!

WalMart.com

GPSExplorer.com

GoSale.com

PriceGrabber.com

NexTag.com

THEN try Amazon.com

Thru the power of browser tracking cookies, when Amazon sees you've been shopping around for a better price, they'll lower their's B)

Actually, during my brief search, I noticed WalMart gave me a price of $132.44.

Edited by Neo_Geo